Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering column question

jimbo01

I've finally started in on the steering column. I know that the column is to long at this point and have every intention of shorting it to the correct length one I'm happy with its position.
My first question is does this column angle look correct? It looks to me as if the column shoots to the right hand side of the driver. Will this be less noticeable once it's cut to the correct length?

100_5116_zps0ea254dc.jpg
100_5117_zps5d39c67d.jpg

All of mine are slightly angled like that.

Say thats a good lookin column where did you get that?

Yes that is about right

LOL about right? I think I'm headed in the right direction with the information that was given to me over the last several months. The column came from West Texas Speed. Do you supply them?

Now I just need to come up with a way to run some steel inside the dash to attach the column to and I'll be back in business.

Mine looked like that.I made a tapered shim and put it AT the steering box mount and straightened up the column.

LOL about right? I think I'm headed in the right direction with the information that was given to me over the last several months. The column came from West Texas Speed. Do you supply them?

Now I just need to come up with a way to run some steel inside the dash to attach the column to and I'll be back in business.
You are onto something here. They say you need to build the same house three times to get it right, maybe the same theory for a hotrod. If I built another T it would definitely have a steel column support inside the dash, somehow tied to the frame below. You do get cowl shake and it will otherwise wiggle the column at speed, especially if the tires aren't balanced 100%.

Yes we do build them for WTS and several others.

After you asked about the column I checked the box and sure enough, RPM sent this to me. Small world to say the least!! I knew you made gas tanks for other companies. Your right, Good looking column and more fine craftsmanship from RPM on my car.

I guess another question I should have asked to help me along is this, what size steering wheels are being used?

You are onto something here. They say you need to build the same house three times to get it right, maybe the same theory for a hotrod. If I built another T it would definitely have a steel column support inside the dash, somehow tied to the frame below. You do get cowl shake and it will otherwise wiggle the column at speed, especially if the tires aren't balanced 100%.

Alright, now y'all got me worried. My column is fasten to my dashboard and feels pretty dang solid. Is that going to be trouble??

Here is how mine is mounted. I did not use a support on the dash. I used a tube bolted to the firewall. Ted gave me this idea.

21%20May%202011%20007.JPG_595.jpg

Column slides into the top of this tube and is crimped in.

23%20may%202011%20001.JPG_595.jpg

This setup actually allows me to move the column in/out about 1.5 inches, though I have never changed the steering at all.

23%20may%202011%20003.JPG_595.jpg

I would highly recommend that you have your seat sorted out before you start playing with steering column placement. I would also try to have a couple different diameter steering wheels on hand when you do this. You will switch things around a few times before you find a setup you like.

I did a support at the firewall with a tube bolted to the cowl, as well as hung it from a 1x1 steel tube structure under the dash. I used a simple 1-3/4" muffler clamp with a stainless U. The under dash support structure is glassed t the underside and sides of the cowl, to the firewall, and to the floor. There is even a plate on the firewall that supports my under dash master cylinder and the fuse panel. Here is an early in progress shot. After 5 years, I've had no issue with the column support.

Here is some pictures of the progress. I'm looking for more input as far as what you think. I'd like to take the column down some more as it seems close to my left knee. If I did take it down I still wouldn't be stretching to hold the wheel. But as I stated, I'm looking for some ideas. I'll also be starting in on the column support tomorrow I'm hoping. I'll be using a little from each of the fine examples and a couple of my own twists. The one thing I was wondering is, think it would be ok to tie into the windshield bolts at the cowl or would this create to much stress?

100_5144_zps6c2a52bd.jpg
100_5143_zpsf6b29a16.jpg
100_5141_zps87a62130.jpg
100_5140_zps64b6eef2.jpg
100_5139_zps58daac56.jpg

How much room is your upholstery going to take? That looks a bit close on the left, almost like you would smack your hand when making a turn.

I agree with you, that is way too close. You stand a good chance of getting your hand stuck between the side panel and the wheel in a emergency situation when you simply react without thinking in order to avoid something.

Jim

I think its tight as well. The door doesn't have any upholstery at this time and that has been considered as well. I'm using the door lip at a guide at this time as a gauge. I could move the column towards the center more. At this point I don't want to take anymore material off. I could also angle the steering gear up with a shim under the steering mount. I'll look at it more today and then it's back to work for me tomorrow. I'll have more time to play with it this weekend if I don't get it done today. Which gives me more time to think and take your suggestion. Thank you for your reply's.

Could you use a smaller diamiter wheel?

The wheel is 12 1/2 and small compared to others. I made a couple of adjustments and need to go back and take the steering gear bracket off again and move it back just a hair. Ahhh the joys of working on a project alone. I moved the gear more inward and think I'm onto something. I also started working on the column support. I'm headed off to the local car show and taking the rest of the night off.

Well I spent a good amount of time on this project over the weekend. I did move the box towards the center of the firewall a little more and I gained more room. I also made a support plat on the fire wall and mounted a piece of pipe that the column slips through. The next project will be reinforcing the column and I'm thinking about using the firewall and the windshield post bolt for this support. Here are the latest pictures.
100_5148_zps57a5c5f9.jpg
100_5149_zps91b9a9ee.jpg
100_5150_zpsda8d623b.jpg
100_5151_zpsa62b3e94.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back