Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering idea?

Ironhead

I have a few extra power steering racks left over from racing days. I was thinking of trying to use one in my bucket project. I would have to fabricate some type of hoop behind the firewall to mount it but that wouldn't be a problem. Pitman arms are easy to make and sprint car technology still uses the ford spindle geometry etc. Now I'm sure there will be some guy's here that just think why don't this guy go with a vega or corvair and keep it simple, that's understandable but I own three of these things all zero timed and for today's racer's they are obsolete so selling them I will take a serious bath and they are a grand each. I will have to of course adapt a pump and run associated lines. I had one of these racks in manual but I donated it to the sprint car museum in Knoxville,Iowa years ago. Dumb idea? Suggestions welcome. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can always find another way to make my car different.

Steering.jpg

Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with a cowl steering in a T. Getting that colum out of an already busy area frees up more room for your feet.

Ron

I have a few extra power steering racks left over from racing days. I was thinking of trying to use one in my bucket project. I would have to fabricate some type of hoop behind the firewall to mount it but that wouldn't be a problem. Pitman arms are easy to make and sprint car technology still uses the ford spindle geometry etc. Now I'm sure there will be some guy's here that just think why don't this guy go with a vega or corvair and keep it simple, that's understandable but I own three of these things all zero timed and for today's racer's they are obsolete so selling them I will take a serious bath and they are a grand each. I will have to of course adapt a pump and run associated lines. I had one of these racks in manual but I donated it to the sprint car museum in Knoxville,Iowa years ago. Dumb idea? Suggestions welcome. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can always find another way to make my car different.

[attachment=4893:Steering.jpg]

Ok so you have already donated to a museam, so why not donate one of these... its a good thing to do.
I cant see a good reason for power steering on a T but if it floats your boat why not. You could sell them and spend the money on something else that you would consider too expensive for your Bucket. A sort of treat if you see my meaning.
No problem with going for what you have in mind. Just another approach.
Gerry

I think if I remember correctly that Street Rodder did an article on an installation of one of those steering boxes a little while back. They used a manual box instead but it seems like a good idea(manual or power) and most of all it's your car build it how you want it, there are no rules. Be safe and have fun!

I think if I remember correctly that Street Rodder did an article on an installation of one of those steering boxes a little while back. They used a manual box instead but it seems like a good idea(manual or power) and most of all it's your car build it how you want it, there are no rules. Be safe and have fun!
Thanks for the tip. I did a search and found a couple of articles regarding cowl steering. I think I can make the rack installation work, most of the success hinges on squeezing that steering pump in tight on a home desiged/fabricated mount bracket on a Ford 302. The footroom would be welcome.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back