Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Stabilizer Clamps

I'm going to try one of those, too.The tie rod on my T is out in front of the axle.
I would assume that one end of the stabilizer attaches to the tie rod and the other end attachs to the axle.
Wouldn't you think that would work the same as attaching it to the hairpin as what you are trying to do is dampen the movement of the wheels in regard to the axle?

Bill

The one end, the skinny one, goes to the tie rod, and the other end goes to the round tube of the hairpin on the passenger side. If you don't have a round tube hairpin you will need to fab something up, like welding a tab on the wishbone to mount that end.

I'm glad some of you are open minded enough to try one. I have not seen ANY car that can't be improved by adding one, it makes even good handling cars handle better.

Don
Don,
Is that stabilizer long enough to work with the tie rod out front?
Thanks for your help.
Johnny

Out front tie rod is a little bit of a challenge as there is no hairpin or radius rod there to attach the one end to. I would have put one on my 23 but I felt it would mess up the look by having one out front. But if you are going to do it the axle would be the logical mounting spot. My Son Don wanted to add one to his T bucket and it had the tie rod in front, so we reengineeried it and put the arms behind, then we could add one. After his first ride with the stabilizer on it he came back smiling and saying something about a RR crossing and not feeling it when he went over it.

Don

Does anybody have a pic of one mounted?
Here is one on a regular suicide front end. The thin pushrod mounts on the tie rod, but the clamp mounts at an angle so you're forced to mount the other end wherever it ends up. I don't like the way mine ended up with the heavy shock body way down on the radius rod. I plan to make a tab on the spring perch with the pushrod outboard for a much cleaner look.ss1.jpgss2.jpgIf you don't have a race-car grille, even this might look awkward, so you might have to weld a frame tab.

Any other pictures out there? I too am interested in trying one. For $40 that is a gamble I am willing to take.

Would it work on the drag link?

I guess it would. Not sure if it would be as effective, it might be, but I just don't know. In any event it would have to be better than not having one at all.

Don

Looking at all the different steering stabilizers available from various sources, loke Jegs SoCal, Summit Racing, etc., what is the difference between the one shown in this thread and any standard non gas filled shock absorber. They all appear to do the same thing as far as I can see.
Your thoughts?

Looking at all the different steering stabilizers available from various sources, loke Jegs SoCal, Summit Racing, etc., what is the difference between the one shown in this thread and any standard non gas filled shock absorber. They all appear to do the same thing as far as I can see.
Your thoughts?

I would imagine they are similar to a shock, but the dampening action may be different. Car shocks are generally stronger in one direction than the other, like 60-40, but these dampeners are 50-50 most likely. There are some car shocks that are 50-50, but the size difference is also something to consider. These stabilizers are only about an inch in diameter.

Don

If you want to know if it will fit, the dimensions are 16" c-to-c at mounted length (1/2 extended) and the reservoir end will fall 4" ahead of or behind the tie rod.

Some Pics, I had to enlarge the clamps to fit over the rods and added some rubber lining to protect the chrome. Since the pics, iv trimmed the rubber so it doesn't stick out.
IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

It's also a little more out of sight down below the headers.

I owe an apology. I have been saying we mount our stabilizers with the fat part going to the hairpin, but today I took a picture and the fat part is mounted to the tie rod. I guess we did them that way so they would be less noticable.

Don

This is the one on my 27

steeringstabilizers005.jpg

And this is the one on my Son's rpu

steeringstabilizers009.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back