Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Stabilizer Clamps

Thanks for all the pics. This gives me some great ideas. I will post some of mine when I have received and installed it.

Bruce

I considered putting the big end on the tie rod but doing so puts a substantial weight on the most flexible part of the tie rod which could cause it to oscillate. Although it's not as pretty, it's much more stable mounted to the hairpin where it can't flex.

Well, I'm running into the problem of trying to find a tie rod clamp that will fit on RPM's 1" radius rods. Auto parts place didn't have it. Tried a 4 wheel drive joint today. No luck.
Any ideas, fellas????

Racecar shops use 1 in dom a lot and they clamp most every thing they put on them .You might try a local shop. Dwight

Hey guys sorry to show up late but I have a question. My car is at its worst around 65 mph. The front end actually bounces up and down from wheel to wheel. Is this considered the same problem as what you guys were having? Im almost leaning towards my shocks giving too much. All of my front end parts are new. Maybe a heavier duty set of shocks would help along with stabilizer. I too have the problem of my tie rod being in front and higher up also. Any thoughts?

For some years now I have had a problem with the car wandering as I drive down the road. The steering always needs to be corrected as someone mentioned in one of the other posts. It's like watching one of those old time movies where the driver is constantly steering left and then right just to keep the car going straight down the road.It seemed to find every crack and rut in the road. I thought that the dampener would help. I bought one and installed it on the drag link and it did not help one bit. I was disappointed, as from the sound of some of your comments, it made a big difference. I would have mounted it between the axle and the tie rod but I already have a panhard rod up there between the axle and the frame. Maybe I should remove the panhard rod mount the damper up front. I suppose I could have both in front.

Try more caster. check your steering box make sure it is "centered" also check toe in. Look for play in steering turn steering wheel and watch your front wheels there is some slop someplace.

For some years now I have had a problem with the car wandering as I drive down the road. The steering always needs to be corrected as someone mentioned in one of the other posts. It's like watching one of those old time movies where the driver is constantly steering left and then right just to keep the car going straight down the road.It seemed to find every crack and rut in the road. I thought that the dampener would help. I bought one and installed it on the drag link and it did not help one bit. I was disappointed, as from the sound of some of your comments, it made a big difference. I would have mounted it between the axle and the tie rod but I already have a panhard rod up there between the axle and the frame. Maybe I should remove the panhard rod mount the damper up front. I suppose I could have both in front.

1) Are the tires bias-ply or radials? When I went to radials the problem you describe vanished.
2) Be sure you have some toe-in, maybe 1/8". Toe-out will cause wandering.
3) I mounted my damper between the panhard rod and the tie rod. Might try that.
4) FYI, a damper is virtually a requirement with a rack and pinion setup. The R&P has a lot of road feedback, which is great for some racing, but can be murder on your wrists and arms.

Hey guys sorry to show up late but I have a question. My car is at its worst around 65 mph. The front end actually bounces up and down from wheel to wheel. Is this considered the same problem as what you guys were having? Im almost leaning towards my shocks giving too much. All of my front end parts are new. Maybe a heavier duty set of shocks would help along with stabilizer. I too have the problem of my tie rod being in front and higher up also. Any thoughts?

Can you give us a pic? Sounds like no shock action at all, and at some combination of speed and wheel imbalance the front end will resonate and dance like you describe.

Can you give us a pic? Sounds like no shock action at all, and at some combination of speed and wheel imbalance the front end will resonate and dance like you describe.

Heres a couple of pics during the build. Im thinking maybe some stronger shocks? Im sure wheel balance is a culprit also. Would be nice to find a place here in Houston that would balance them on car.

pic13.JPGpic12.JPG

Yep, that much angle is really gonna reduce the shock's action, and it doesn't look like there is much travel on the shock either. Either shorter and heavier shocks (maybe adjustable) and/or moving one or both mounts to get shocks more vertical will definitely help.

And it looks like the tie rod is close to the frame rails; has it ever hit?

You could mount the damper from the tie rod to one of the frame rails. I'm not real fond of the clamps on the SoCal unit (they slipped and rusted on my car), and am gonna replace them with Heim ends and make some tabs to mount. Looks like there's a market for a nice stainless piece made for hot rods, with mounting options, adjustability, etc.

Here's an interesting damper from Pro Comp, their 222510, only $37 at JC Whitney and free shipping. I might try one.

pro_comp_steering_stabilizers.jpg

It seems to me that the lower shock mounts can be used with the offset shock pin pointed either in or out. You might try swapping them so that the lower end makes the shock closer to vertical.

And it looks like the tie rod is close to the frame rails; has it ever hit?

Everything on this car is close. Lol. No hits though. Thanks Pot!

It seems to me that the lower shock mounts can be used with the offset shock pin pointed either in or out. You might try swapping them so that the lower end makes the shock closer to vertical.
Yes sir you are correct. Going to swap them and give her a try. Might need smaller shocks though. I think speedway offers some a bit smaller than I have. Thanks Guys!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back