Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering wheel size

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Been over 40 yrs since I drove a car with manual steer. WOW! My T is very twitchy and darts around a bit. It has a small steering wheel which I like. I thought the small arc needed to correct front wheel movement would be a plus for my input response. Just read an old rod mag where the person writing in stated his problem went away after installing a larger wheel. Wantta believe him,that was his result .BUT..wouldn't his response movement be worse, what with the longer arc of wheel movement? Oh..my box has a bit much play which is bad and, I don't know what box is in the car. Another thing to replace!!!

With a larger steering wheel you have to move yourself ur hands farther for the same input. Less twitchy easier to turn. 14” is a good diameter.

I, too, have a 13" wheel and have a Vega box used in a cross steer system. It steers like a factory car. I can take my hands off the wheel at highway speeds and there are absolutely no problems.

Jim

I, too, have a 13" wheel and have a Vega box used in a cross steer system. It steers like a factory car. I can take my hands off the wheel at highway speeds and there are absolutely no problems.

Jim

Jim, I would think everything on your car works like it should . It truly is a well built and thought out hot rod!

I run a 13" wheel and half rack steering and like Ex Junk I can take my hands off at 70 mph with no problems at all.....…...Please check all the joints in the steering and the wheel bearings. Any play at all will be worst as the car is moving at any speed. The wheel bearings can be quite a bit tighter on a Bucket cause of the weight on the front end and no power steering. Besure to check for grease in the front bearing also, just ask Spanky what happens with out any grease, & then tighten the bearings......Your steering wheel is not the problem I'm sure.....

Jim, I would think everything on your car works like it should . It truly is a well built and thought out hot rod!
Thank you for the compliment, Floyd.

Jim

Thanks for the replies. Guess the reality is I need to keep working on the front end set-up.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back