Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T-Bucket frame under touring body?

BillsBucket

Guys, I did a search with not a lot of luck. I have a steel '26 Touring body that's currently on its original chassis. Obviously, the frame needs to go. My question is, can I run a "standard" T-Bucket frame under a touring car and retain my back seat? Any other issues I may run into? Thanks!

Lots of issues there. The original T ran a perfectly straight frame with no kick up and these old cars set really high. I don't see putting a touring body on a new style bucket frame and keeping the back seat. A longer stretched frame would do the trick for you. This would put the kick up behind the back of the body. Also the original T had the gas tank in the cowl over your feet. So there has to be a place for that, and a battery.

I am running a T Bucket frame under my sedan delivery that is channeled over the frame. As noted in post #2, you would lose the back seat. I think the easy way out would be to build your own out of 2" x 3" tubing, if you are not running fenders. Other wise, I would box your stock frame from end to end. What are you planning for engine and tranny?
Lee

I do not see the height of the kick-up as being the issue...especially if you do not channel the body. Many of the touring cars of the era had the rear seat higher than the front. The issue that does come to mind is, how are you intending to use the rear seat? A standard bucket body is very short on front seat leg room, and usually the rear of the body (and the back of the seat) is close to or up against the kick-up. The result is almost no foot/leg room for a rear seat. About the best you could do is small foot wells on either side of the frame kickup...more suitable for children than adults. If child seating is your aim, I think it could be doable, but with a lot of extra work.

If you are looking for something easier and/or less costly than a custom frame, I'd suggest looking for a Model A frame...straight rails like an original T frame, and available "off the shelf" built to take the kind of power you are planning.

That's actually a pretty cool car as is. I would have a hard time cutting that one up...I think I'd go for more of a street rod theme. The body lends itself better, IMO.

That's actually a pretty cool car as is. I would have a hard time cutting that one up...I think I'd go for more of a street rod theme. The body lends itself better, IMO.
I'm with you on this one. I would love to have a car like that to build a period correct hotrod. Put in an A model engine, around a 40 ford banjo rear and drive it! :thumbsup: But that's just me but it ain't mine. I just wish it was! Good look with the build. That's what it's all about, making it your own. :)

Thanks guys, but the pictures make it look nicer than it is. I have considered keeping the stock frame under it and doing like a 2.3 four cylinder install. Fenders won't go back on, way too rough and too expensive to replace.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back