Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

t-bucket tire

1chevynova

I am new to the world of t-buckets and I am sure I will have plenty of questions to ask on this forum so here we go. I purchased a bucket last saturday and need to change out the tires, they are shot. I have 165/80 15s on the frount and n50 14s on the back. I like the look of the n50s on the back and would like to find some size that is similar in with to the n50s. I am looking at Mickey thomphson 26x7.50 for the frount and 28x12.5 on the rear. these are bias ply tires and wonder what you guys think of my choice. thanks for the advice in advance

I am new to the world of t-buckets and I am sure I will have plenty of questions to ask on this forum so here we go. I purchased a bucket last saturday and need to change out the tires, they are shot. I have 165/80 15s on the frount and n50 14s on the back. I like the look of the n50s on the back and would like to find some size that is similar in with to the n50s. I am looking at Mickey thomphson 26x7.50 for the frount and 28x12.5 on the rear. these are bias ply tires and wonder what you guys think of my choice. thanks for the advice in advance

Welcome to the site, glad you found us. The sizes you mention sound good, I think I would go a few extra $$$, and go with a radial tire both front and back.

Oh and we love pictures.

Thanks for the info, I am looking to keep cost down so that is why I was thinking bias ply tires, do you thing the 28x12.50 is close to the n50 that is on the car now.

Welcome to the site. Do yourself a big favor and buy radial tires. The ride and handling are much better.

Definitelygo radials the money you spend will pay back in mileage and handling. Especially in the rain I switched and my ride in rain was much better but still is a fine line between straight running and breaking loose with these light cars and so much tire on ground.

First off welcome :tip: and congrats on the new bucket. I had the same tire setup on my bucket. When I changed it, I stayed with 165's on the front and went to 31/16.50 15's on the rear. Not the cheapest, but the ride change and looks were worth it to me.

Old tires
100_1669.jpg

ArtinthePark53071.jpg

were did you find the 165s on the front? I have looked and all I can find is one company who makes them,and they appear to be a cheap tire

OK you guys talked me into radials, now I am looking at m/t 29x15r15s on a 10 inch wide rim for the rear and 26x6r15s on the front on a 4.5 inch rim, is anybody running these size tires on those rims and if so how do you like them? Thanks

OK you guys talked me into radials, now I am looking at m/t 29x15r15s on a 10 inch wide rim for the rear and 26x6r15s on the front on a 4.5 inch rim, is anybody running these size tires on those rims and if so how do you like them? Thanks

I'm running that size rim and tire on the rear of mine and I'm very happy with it. Front tire is 175/65R 15 on a 6" rim.

While on the subject of tires... What do you all think about using radial trailer tires on a T? I've pretty much decided on some Low Rolling Resistance tires, but was just still curious...

Welcome. I will add my 2 cents seems how I have used. The radial will ride a lot smoother then the bias ply tires but I never noticed any difference in handling. Depending on personal taste I would buy the tire that has the look you want.

were did you find the 165s on the front? I have looked and all I can find is one company who makes them,and they appear to be a cheap tire
The only 165's that I was able to find were from Cokers and they were whitewalls and quite high priced. Not only that but his shipping costs were OUTTA SIGHT! I finally ended up with some B F Goodrich 155/80x15's that are only .3" smaller in diameter than the 165's. I got them from Tire Kingdom here in Oviedo, Florida and they had to be shipped from Atlanta if I remember correctly. The price was $67.99 each or $135.98 for the pair. My total cost for shipping, mounting, balancing, new valve stems and tax was $175.87 for the pair. I am more than pleased with them as they are a perfect match with my 285/70x15 BFG's that I have on the rear.

IMG_0852.jpg

Jim

The only 165's that I was able to find were from Cokers and they were whitewalls and quite high priced. Not only that but his shipping costs were OUTTA SIGHT! I finally ended up with some B F Goodrich 155/80x15's that are only .3" smaller in diameter than the 165's. I got them from Tire Kingdom here in Oviedo, Florida and they had to be shipped from Atlanta if I remember correctly. The price was $67.99 each or $135.98 for the pair. My total cost for shipping, mounting, balancing, new valve stems and tax was $175.87 for the pair. I am more than pleased with them as they are a perfect match with my 285/70x15 BFG's that I have on the rear.

Jim

Damn. Took me 30 minutes to notice the tires. Oh.... those sizes do look good.

IMG_0852.jpg

Jim
That car had tires on it?

While on the subject of tires... What do you all think about using radial trailer tires on a T? I've pretty much decided on some Low Rolling Resistance tires, but was just still curious...

Trailer tires are not meant to be used on a car most say that on side of them

I have those same tires. Have not driven on them yet, but they sure look nice.

The good thing about them is you can get them damn near anywhere, and they are reasonable in price.

Check out tirerack.com to get all your sizes, specs and for good deals on tires.

CAR? Oh, there's a Car there! :rolleyes:

IMG_0852.jpg

Jim

Jim, will those 155 fronts fit on 6" rims?

I've got a pair of 6" rims with a 5 1/2" bolt pattern that fit my '54 F-100 brakes. Since I'm building and early 60s style bucket, I don't need super narrow front tires and I don't want to spend a fortune either. Anyone have any good ideas on front tire sizes?

I would not advise putting 155's on a 6" rim. A good choice would be a 195/60x15" on a 6" rim. That is what I ran when I first built my car. I also ran 275/60x15" on the rear at the same time. Check the photos below.

IMG_0667_2.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back