Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket vs T Coupe leg room

Stock Racer

Hello,

I have been lurking on this site for a couple years and now its time to get serious about my project. I have wanted a T Bucket since I saw the adds in Hot Rod and Car Craft back in the 60's. I think they were Bird kits? I would prefer to build a metal body. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs. and to old to not be comfortable. I have read the discussions here about the stretch bodies but like I said, I would prefer metal. Can someone tell me if a T coupe has more room than a T roadster.

Thanks,
Joe

There has got to be a site that gives stock measurements on Ford bodies... CRS for me on this, just been too long since I did anything with a T coupe, even though I have always wanted one in stock form, no chopped tops for me, as I love to be able to see and be comfortable while driving :)

We just happened to have a 27 T Coupe setting out side the shop. Yesterday we took a lot of measurements for a chassis for it. From the rear of the cab to the edge of the door is 12", the door opening is 28" and the cowl area is 17". So from the back of the cab where the rear window is to the front of the firewall you have about 57".... A standard bucket body is about 50", and the 10" stretch is about 60". Also the coupe is about 3" wider at the back edge of the door, about where your elbow would be.
If you need something else let me know and I'll check it for you.

My coupe has the gas tank behind the seat and seated in the car I can't touch the firewall with my feet! There is plenty of room in the coupe, and you don't get rained on! Now if I can get a condenser that looks like a radiator the A/C will keep me cool!

Got the thumbnails! I'm bad!

My coupe has the gas tank behind the seat and seated in the car I can't touch the firewall with my feet! There is plenty of room in the coupe, and you don't get rained on! Now if I can get a condenser that looks like a radiator the A/C will keep me cool!

Attachments

• HOT ROD 002.JPG
    HOT ROD 002.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 91
  • HOT ROD 003.JPG
    HOT ROD 003.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 101
  • HOT ROD 006.JPG
    HOT ROD 006.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 72
First of all, thanks for responses.
Ted, With all do respect to Old Round Fart, no chop for me either. Looks cool tall!
RPM, Thanks for the measurements.
Old Round Fart, Thanks for the pics and info.

I am leaning towards doing a coupe. I think my frame will be very similar to a T Bucket (correct me if I'm wrong). I like the suicide front end look. I know this is a T Bucket site but when I get going, would it be O.K. to come back here for advice? I have learned a lot here just lurking.

The picture is my inspiration.

Joe

IMG_0532_1.jpg

I have the same concerns. I am tall and old and although I'd love a T-bucket I wonder how I would look driving it not to mention the comfort level. A fellow up here has a T touring body and when he drives his knees are above the steering wheel and he is not as tall as me. Looks (and must feel) strange. I drive a 49 Chevy half ton and that is really tight in the leg room.
I have seen stretched bodies but are they as authentic looking?

I am tall (6' 1"), heavy (250 lbs.), and kinda old (58 next month), and my T has even less foot room because it is a stick shift, but as long as you keep your steering wheel diameter small to allow your left leg and knee to rest against the body, you will be OK even in a '23 bucket. To drive this point home, last 12 months I put 8000 miles on this car with 2 back to back 500+ mile days.

Bob

DSC008871014x760.jpg

DSC008901014x760.jpg

I am tall (6' 1"), heavy (250 lbs.), and kinda old (58 next month), and my T has even less foot room because it is a stick shift, but as long as you keep your steering wheel diameter small to allow your left leg and knee to rest against the body, you will be OK even in a '23 bucket. To drive this point home, last 12 months I put 8000 miles on this car with 2 back to back 500+ mile days.

Bob

DSC008871014x760.jpg

DSC008901014x760.jpg
I'm still blown away that you got that stick shift in the car at all.Good job.Nice car by the way.

Thanks, I do prefer a clutch. My winter project is to pull the M20 Muncie out and replace it with a T56 Magnum 6 speed so that I can have a double overdrive for those long runs. 1200 rpms at 60 mph is going to be so nice.

Bob

DSC013211014x760.jpg

I have a t coupe and a "big bodied" bucket. Pikkys on here somewhere.

My coupe is glass (hard to get the real thing down here) and its incredibly spacious. Its not chopped or chanelled & Im 6 ft 1 and about 240 lbs

So yes, if you want lots of space, a T coupe is a great option. Just dont try and make the top of the roof 45 inches off the ground or you will be back to having no space in it

This is before I removed the metal frame in the back of the seat and I have my left leg resting against the side wall. I could of straightened out my left leg and you wouldn't of seen my knee but as I said I was just resting. My right leg is slightly bent and my foot on the pedal. When I removed the back seat frame it gave me about another 4" and my right leg is straight out with no bend and on the pedal. I am 5'11 and in the pic 285. I am 265 now.
100_1321.jpg

I'll look to see if I have the updated picture with me in the new seat.

Hey Guys,
Need some info. RPM, Would you have the overall dimensions on a 26-27 Coupe for shipping purposes? I also need the weight of a bare body (Henry Steel) if anyone has that info.

Hot Rod Todd, Thanks for the info. A Coupe it is.

Deck Officer, Great car!

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks Joe, good luck on your build. If you want to get driving asap, the market is quite soft for the first time in 30 years, now would be a good time to buy a turn key T.

Bob

Hey Bob,
Yea, I know what you mean. Been seeing some screaming deals out there but just can't find the right car. I'd be changing more than I would be keeping. I thought my mind was made up on the T Coupe but Speedways new Tribute T is killin me. Its featured in the February Street Rodder. Body and chassis kit is $4000 and would make for an easy build. Decisions, Decisions.
Later,
Joe

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back