Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T on A

Retroboy

My first post other than my introduction. I'm looking to build a T bucket on an A frame. I have a solid mechanical knowledge and background, a decent work space, limited equipment and limited fabrication skills. The local Registration Authorities here(South Australia) have plenty of hurdles in the way of Hot Rod builds and we have a volunteer body know as the Technical Advisory Committee that liaises with them and works for us (Hot Rodders), however it is still nearly impossible to build and get a "T" bucket on the road here with a fabricated chassis (frame). Given that I have a decent Model A frame I want to use. I'm looking at a small step at the rear along with the original front and rear springs (less a few leaves) and a dropped the original A axle. I also have a flathead and will be using a 3 speed manual gear box from a sixties Falcon. As far as wheels go I have some nice '60's 15x6 and 14x6 five spoke mags that have never had a tyre fitted that will run some thing like 185/70/14's on the front and 215/70/15's on the rear. I would like to keep the wheelbase at less than 100" I know what I want and have a less is more mind set. Sounds good so far but I'm looking at a Wescotts chassis drawing and I'm thinking a Model A is too wide for a T body? but I've seen 'em done? Maybe I could split the back of the body in the centre and add a splice in a couple of inches extra shoulder room? I'm super aware that with a little car inches make a big difference and don't want to kill it's proportions. Anyone help me with how T's have been fitted to A's in the past or any other thoughts.

Cheers

Tony

My first post other than my introduction. I'm looking to build a T bucket on an A frame. I have a solid mechanical knowledge and background, a decent work space, limited equipment and limited fabrication skills. The local Registration Authorities here(South Australia) have plenty of hurdles in the way of Hot Rod builds and we have a volunteer body know as the Technical Advisory Committee that liaises with them and works for us (Hot Rodders), however it is still nearly impossible to build and get a "T" bucket on the road here with a fabricated chassis (frame). Given that I have a decent Model A frame I want to use. I'm looking at a small step at the rear along with the original front and rear springs (less a few leaves) and a dropped the original A axle. I also have a flathead and will be using a 3 speed manual gear box from a sixties Falcon. As far as wheels go I have some nice '60's 15x6 and 14x6 five spoke mags that have never had a tyre fitted that will run some thing like 185/70/14's on the front and 215/70/15's on the rear. I would like to keep the wheelbase at less than 100" I know what I want and have a less is more mind set. Sounds good so far but I'm looking at a Wescotts chassis drawing and I'm thinking a Model A is too wide for a T body? but I've seen 'em done? Maybe I could split the back of the body in the centre and add a splice in a couple of inches extra shoulder room? I'm super aware that with a little car inches make a big difference and don't want to kill it's proportions. Anyone help me with how T's have been fitted to A's in the past or any other thoughts.

Cheers

Tony

If shipping wouldn't kill you, I would look into a kit (like Spirit for instance) as you would get a certificate of origin the TAC may not have a problem with. Sure would make a more enjoyable project and more likely to get on the road. Long term projects don't make it to the street that often. Just my 2 cents. John

OK :hi: , There are tons of reasons not to use the A. But...
Remember that Gabrowsky's and Ivo's Ts both were built on Model A frames

OK :) , There are tons of reasons not to use the A. But...
Remember that Gabrowsky's and Ivo's Ts both were built on Model A frames

Its possible to cross the country on a pogo stick to but why.
We have materials that they didnt have.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back