Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tail Light Thread - What looks good?

wsdad2

What tail lights do you think looks good on a T bucket? Do you have a favorite? Have you seen some that you like? What are you running?

Pictures, please, if you have them!

Also, please tell us what they are because some of us (especially me) may not recognize where they came from.

Personally, I like the simple, round 1950 Pontiac tail lights with bulbs. But that's just me.

What do you like? Mild to Wild, let's see them all.

Attachments

• 1950-pontiac-taillights.jpg
    1950-pontiac-taillights.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 47
My choice was '46 to '48 Ford.

Jim

I'm using the '39 Ford style...but I'm not completely sure if I like it or not, lol.

33-36 Chevy lights
2%20Jun%202013%20013.JPG_595.jpg

Anything LED. The brighter the better. Too many people looking at your car, and don't realize your braking or stopping. I've seen it happen a few times.

I used the 50 Pontiac.

I tried the LED conversions that Speedway sells. Don't waste your money! The standard bulb versions were much brighter. The lens on the Pontiac's seem to concentrate the light of the standard 1157 bulb. If you go with LED's, get lights built as LED's from the start. They seem to work better than the conversions.

Mine are mounted low, not on the body. I don't think flush mount fixtures could even be installed in the deck, the gas tank is against the rear wall.

Jack

p1023240682-3.jpg

When I swapped mine to LED I noticed the old glass lenses were very thick and dark and I think that really hinders the old fashioned bulb setup so and LED conversion bulb would probably suck in that lense too. The new lenses are more transparent which really pop with the LED's.

The round ones you have posted look good. I have the tear drop 39 style as well and I like them. Whatever you do get LED lights if possible. On the left is the LED version vs the regular one on the right.

http://tbucketeers.com/threads/led-tail-lights.14558/#post-155617

I was going to go with the LED version also because I read that the regular ones were dim like you show. But then I read the reason was that they were painted black inside so there was no reflection to help. I painted mine chrome/silver to see what would happen. One is tail, the other is brake.

Last edited:
Inspired by the early GTO taillights, I began with a pair of 69-72 Blazer rear side marker lights (each one has the two lenses), to which I grafted the housing portion from a set of trailer lights to get the 1157 type bulbs. they are nice and bright, but also note the 3rd brake light on the rear of the body.
409279503.jpg

Russ

"I was going to go with the LED version also because I read that the regular ones were dim like you show. But then I read the reason was that they were painted black inside so there was no reflection to help. I painted mine chrome/silver to see what would happen. One is tail, the other is brake.

Thanks for the tip!

Wow that makes a big difference. Nice and bright now.

Mine are LED's and everyone that has followed me has told me that they are really bright, which is exactly what I wanted!
I had the LED ones on my '28 Model a hot rod and they worked great.

Since motorcycle shops were mentioned. I installed a strobe interrupter, my definition, on my LED brake lights.
It gives you about 3 pulses before going solid when the brakes are applied. I am sure most of you have seen them on motorcycles. I thought they added to the signal affect of putting on the brakes. Maybe someone can find a video and post it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back