Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Taller coils for clearance

OK ex-junk, you proved that a bump stop could be unobtrusive and look fine. (are those braided lines to the wheel cylinders?) Of course mine wouldn't look like that, since they would have to be somewhere around 10 inches long! The bump stops that fit onto the shock sound like something that might fly. I believe the adjustable shock is going to be the thing this time around. I have only so many things I will be able to work on this year, and I have bigger fish to fry with this car - like those wire wheels, for example. I believe I'll determine my spring rate and consider a spring height increase for next year, God willing. I do appreciate hearing all suggestions and opinions. Thanks fellas.

OK ex-junk, you proved that a bump stop could be unobtrusive and look fine. (are those braided lines to the wheel cylinders?) Of course mine wouldn't look like that, since they would have to be somewhere around 10 inches long! The bump stops that fit onto the shock sound like something that might fly. I believe the adjustable shock is going to be the thing this time around. I have only so many things I will be able to work on this year, and I have bigger fish to fry with this car - like those wire wheels, for example. I believe I'll determine my spring rate and consider a spring height increase for next year, God willing. I do appreciate hearing all suggestions and opinions. Thanks fellas.

Yes, that is braided line to the wheel cylinder and it is about 24" long.

Jim

I don't know why I've never seen that before - I lead a sheltered life - that would take care of the saggy swoopy goofy looking brake lines crawling all over my axles. These were done before I got the car, but I wasn't sure I could do any better without taking a lot of time, so I have just tried not to look at them. This might be my fix!

Indycars, I have the same setup as yours and I am also looking at new rear springs.
What springs did you go with? and did they come chrome or did you have them chromed?

Here is a picture of a simple bump stop that I installed on my car. I've yet to hit on it. However, where I live we have good, pothole free roads. The red spot above the axle housing is the bump stop in the picture.

Jim

Jim, I noticed you use braided line to your rear brakes from the "T" connection. I have been told that the line pressure would be too much to do that. But evidently that may be another "hot rod myth" I need to purge from my brain. I'm coming up with quite a few, this time around. Your bump stop is nice and simple. Just up my alley. If I end up needing one is it available from suppliers or is it something you made?

Indycars, I have the same setup as yours and I am also looking at new rear springs.
What springs did you go with? and did they come chrome or did you have them chromed?
Those rear springs were bought over 30 years ago, so I can't say for sure, but I believe they are Corvair springs.

I did the polishing and then had them chromed.

Jim, I noticed you use braided line to your rear brakes from the "T" connection. I have been told that the line pressure would be too much to do that. But evidently that may be another "hot rod myth" I need to purge from my brain. I'm coming up with quite a few, this time around. Your bump stop is nice and simple. Just up my alley. If I end up needing one is it available from suppliers or is it something you made?
I think that is a myth. I say that because from what I was taught about pressure in a closed loop system the pressure is the same through out. Therefore, I would say that if the line was 6" or 36" it would not make any difference.

Jim

When I was researching brake systems, they claim that even steel lines flex and can cause soft pedal? Those braided lines were designed for airline hydraulics, if unbraided rubber brake hoses are ok on trucks and large passenger vehicles, I wouldn't have any reservations using the braided lines on a light hotrod. Everything flexes. Just my thoughts.

I apologize to the OP. Should have asked that in the "Brake" forum.

I like the braided line. Back in my road race days it made a big improvement with pedal feel. I seem to remember another instance when to much braided line caused spongy pedal an was fixed by switching to steel line. May have not gotten all air out. I think Exjunk made it work.

Ok so back on to the spring thread.
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am in the same boat, with the same setup, only its older and it is crap.
I simulated a full tank of 10 Gallons and placed my battery in (see pic)
The thing bottomed right out.
First I thought well, its old and was designed as a bob tail with the tank over the springs and the battery in the floor.
So I moved the weights over the springs and put the battery in the bucket, same thing.
And that doesn't include me and my wife in the bucket or a trailer with maybe 75lbs tongue weight.
20170215_200951.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back