Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ted Brown's brake pedal...

TRoadster

How many of you have gone to Ted's web page to look at hot rod and t bucket pictures? I first looked when someone asked about brake pedal mounting and saw the photos of one of Ted's cars. The pedal moves downwards instead of forwards like many t buckets have. I've looked at the two pictures several times and have tried to make cardboard cutouts to simulate this action but I can't seem to get it right. Ted, if you read this, where did you get these pedals from? Did you modify them from something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Get these pedals FROM???? hehe I don't get anything from anywhere but my own making, if you want someting to work right on a custom project, you need to design and fab it yourself.. Thanks for asking.. there are more pics on/in my MySpace picture albums, if not enough here to see how it was made, I mount the brake cyls, facing to the rear, the pedal short pressure end pushes forward, I use two masters, one for drum and the other for disk, plus a balance bar to adjust pressure, like a proportioning valve works, kinda, only better...and by having the pedal push down instead of forward, this will allow it to be closer to the firewall, as one needes as MUCH room as we can get in the short bodies.. That is why I made up the long bodies CCR is selling now, they are the same size as any late model car as far as seat and pedal room, usually 5' from the back to firewall. I just happen to really like the look of the short T Buckets, I love the older look :lol:

PS, I will take a pic of just a pedal if that will help you, and give the size and such..:lol: But there is already pics of that assembly, it just is a setup for both a brake and a clutch, for those who insist on a stick... you gotta do what your heart tells you to do. :)

Something like this...Just guessing. :)

BMK-TB1.jpg

O.M.G. George walks on water again. Even the bolt heads are aligned with the points at 12:00. Approx. how much to duplicate with clutch pedal?

John

Well the pedal is sorta like that except the rear of the pedal points up rather than down, and the master is up front pointing back, this makes the whole setup a lot shorter, so now when the pedal goes down the arm moves forward into the masters, I use two masters, one for drums and one for disk, both different size bores. smaller for disk...= more pressure.. :)

this is my pattern for the brake pedal for a T with a toe board. the ratio is 7 to 1. it's basicly a '40's ford pedal. i cut them out of 3/8 crs. the large hole accepts a length of 7/8" DOM, 3/16" wall;

brakepedalSmall.jpg

if you don't have a toe board, make it like GAB's.

Here is the pedal arm I came up with. Very similar to George's design.

The center bushings are hard poly pieces that are used in suspension end links. The tubing that the pedal attachs to is bent to form a radius around the center pivot. This keeps the hole in your floorboard smaller.

The arm that the master cylinder link attachs to is drilled for several different ratios. I my case they are 5 to1, 4 to 1, and 3 to 1. The 4 to 1 works good with the power brakes on my car and doesn't require a lot of pedal travel.

Mike

100_2296.jpg

old round fart said:
Ted, Are the pedels you described in the CCR plans? They sound like something I could use.
No they are not, this is a design I came up with after CCR, there are a few big changes made since then, and now that I am going to build one offs, there will be alot more changes, as when you do not have to worry about making a ton of anything, it is much easier and more fun... :)

Well, since Ted hasn't gotten us any pics yet of his pedal setup, I guess that I'll just try drawing what it might look like...again.:hooray:

TedBrownPedal.jpg

In many race car setups they use two master cylinders and a "balance bar" between them to adjust the "bias" from front to rear brakes. It is a mechanical system that is used in place of a proportioning valve.

Jim

First let me say as many others have, George your drawings just make me want to go out and build what ever it is you have drawn. They are just enough to allow you to "see" what is needed and make any small adjustment that may be needed to make a very attractive and uncluttered part or bracket. All of these should be achived someplace for future reference.
My pedal goes down into the floor instead of forward but like all these things you exchange one clearence problem for another.:rolleyes:
I am trying to use smaller pictures.
Randall

Not a good shot but my pedal

This is all the parts to make it.

And how it looked assembled but not installed.

LumenAl said:
Too small to see detail! But I went to your Journal and then looked at the larger pics... man you did a sweet job on that setup!

I don't know how he did it, but if you click on Tbucit's pic it opens up to his photobucket page and that picture fills the page.

Great job on those parts there Randall.

Here is a little more detailed view of how the balance bar works. The sleeve that is welded to the pedal contains a spherical bearing (heim joint without the threaded portion) that is free to move along the bore of the tube. This has a shaft that is threaded on each end and has 2 grooves that capture the bearing on each side with E-clips or snap rings. The clevis pins are threaded internally and all threads are right hand. The shaft has a screwdriver slot in the end for turning the shaft and making the spherical bearing move left or right. There is a given amount of force on the ball that is created by the input on the pedal arm. The shaft acts as a lever and distributes the amount of input force on the two master cylinders according to the lengths of the shaft segments. Leverage, as Ted says, is what it's all about. :rolleyes:

TedBrownBalanceBarDetail.jpg

i resize in "my pictures" on my puter (640 x480) before i load them to photobucket. then i post them they look like this.

brakepedalSmall.jpg

i found you only have a specific number of thunbnails that you can post. after you reach that number, you have to delete some before you can post more of them. that takes them out of where ever you posted the originally.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back