Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

When I lived in Reno,NV., I got to drive Harry James XKE. He traded it in on a different ride, and it was on a car lot at MCM Motors. I had a Morgan 4+4 back then for a trade in. After giving the salesman a scary ride in the XK, I opted to keep my Morgan.
I agree IG, always one of my favorites.

I emailed Josh at Spirit, and asked if that Speedway stainless steel front end kit was a direct replacement for what comes in the Spirit kit, and he said that it was . . . . . so I ordered it.

It's on back-order, of course, but should come next month . . . Wooooo Hooooooo

Now that should provide some motivation ! Nothing like alittle something shinny to lift your spirits!

Now that should provide some motivation ! Nothing like alittle something shinny to lift your spirits!

I agree completely!

I put in for 2 weeks of vacation time at the end of this month, and an appointment at the hair salon for Saturday so I can get a nice short hair style . . . you have no idea how much it sucks when you keep getting your hair caught up in the creeper wheels working under the car . . . .

I agree completely!

I put in for 2 weeks of vacation time at the end of this month, and an appointment at the hair salon for Saturday so I can get a nice short hair style . . . you have no idea how much it sucks when you keep getting your hair caught up in the creeper wheels working under the car . . . .

I used to have hair down to my mid back and a beard down to my belly button. I totally understand the frustrations of hair in a creeper wheel and beard caught in drills...Now my hair no longer grows on top so I keep it short and the beard short also. I got tired of all the pain just getting ready to do something let alone trying to keep my hair so I like the short style now and no more scalping when using a creeper..

1 Little step at a time . . . .

So I finally got some vacation time and as nice as it feels to do absolutely nothing, . . . . that isn't going to make much progress on the hot rod so I thought I'd check out some of the stuff that's already come in, some of it several months ago.

The Crate Motor came with a fairly generic damper. no doubt adequate, but far from a premium item, so I ordered an ATI Super Damper . . . I don't think they come any better than that.

I finally opened the drive shaft that I had custom ordered back in December or so, it's from Strange Engineering, all chrome molly with forged chrome molly ends, . . Damn it looks sweet . . I was going to paint it blue, but decided to just leave it natural

Finally, I opened the wheelie bar kit and did a little assembly, . . . wasn't too impressed with the bearings in the wheels . . . just seemed really cheap, but they can be replaced if need be . . . they are way more about the look than functionality, or at least I think so . . .

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I want to work on the front end and swap out the reverse eye spring for the new standard eye spring, and see if I can add a spacer in the spring perch so I have a little more ground clearance. . . . The new wheel studs won't ship untill at least next week, since they weren't in stock when I ordered them with the appropriate lug nuts.

Drive Shaft 1.jpg Wheelie Bars 1.jpg

I love it when a parts order comes in. All that shinny new stuff to drool over. Looks like you got some work to do now!! We are awaiting more progress on your T.

Will you be able to protect the paint on the rear end from the wheelie bars ?

No good deed goes un-punished so they say . . . .

Took my front end apart today to see how it would work out ground clearance wise, with the new standard eye (down) spring installed and also with a spacer block between the spring and perch.

That turned out to be quite a lot of shit to take apart . . then come to find out that the shackle plates for the shock mounts will only work with reverse eye (up) springs.

They are pretty much a triangle shape and for standard eye springs, need to be a slightly canted upside down "L" shape . .

So while I'm thinking, "OK, Good excuse to shop for a plasma cutter and snag a little bit of stainless steel plate from McMaster Carr", . . . . I figured can't hurt to check out Speedway . . . gotta be a lot of hot rods built with eye down springs and shocks . . maybe there's a ready made part that's just what I need . . . . . and against all odds . . . . damn if there wasn't . . .in stainless steel to boot!

Anyway, I ordered a a pair and a few other stainless bits and paid a bit extra for faster shipping so it will all be here to see if it fits by early next week . . . . here's hoping for the best.

Here's some pics below, you can see how bad the chrome has deteriorated in just over 2 years . . . . . so you can see why I splurged for the stainless steel front end kit. (hoping it ships in July as expected)

Old Spring Out 1.jpg
New Spring with Spacer Block 1.jpg
New Spring Shock Mount Issue 1.jpg
Speedway Shock Mount Shackle Plate.JPGe.JPG

Speedway must be pretty proud of their SSt. shock mount shackle plates . . . . almost $40 each and they they mate to $60 per pair SSt shackles

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shackle-Plate-with-Shock-Mount-Hole,35384.html?
sku=91036120-SS

Transverse Front/Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Sets w/ Nylon Bushings

May need to take a little break tomorrow . . . seems I got considerably more of a sunburn than it seemed a while ago . . . maybe a good time to hit the hardware store for some grade 8 bolts long enough to accommodate the spring spacer.

Last edited:
That’s some expensive friggin stainless! It’s funny how the spring and the shocks look good but the axle really took a beating.

That comes from cheap chrome. Chrome is just a rust protector for the nickel. If they don’t leave the part in the chrome bath very long it doesn’t get good coverage.

That’s some expensive friggin stainless! It’s funny how the spring and the shocks look good but the axle really took a beating.

The spring in the pics is the brand new standard eye (eyes down) spring, the original eyes up spring isn't pictured, but it looks about as bad as everything else around it.

If I had known there was a stainless front end option when I ordered the kit, I would have jumped on it from the get-go . . .

Amazing how much you get to learn with one of these little buggies . . .

We all learn by making mistakes. Sometimes they become expensive ones. It’s still cheaper than having someone build it for you! And then we know what not to do the next time we build one.

Speedway must be pretty proud of their SSt. shock mount shackle plates . . . . almost $40 each and they they mate to $60 per pair SSt shackles

I use similar ones on my front end . . . work great! Not stainless though, and I didn't pay anywhere that much for mine, but that was 7-8 years ago. :thumbsdown:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back