Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The first hot rod you ever saw?

My Uncle had a 68 Nova with a 230 straight six and a powerglide. It was getting tired but I enjoyed riding in it. When I was about twelve he had me over to "help" him build then install a 350/350. Once we took it on its virgin run down a long straight access road and I looked over and the speedometer read 110 I was hooked on hotrod for life. Nowadays working on my T bucket and building guns is how I destress from work. My dream car (with fenders) is a 68 chevelle big block. 32 ford coupe for fender less favorite.

When I was very young, my first memories of cars were with my dad and his old Mercury merauder, not a hot rod, but he would run that thing as fast as it would go, he always had several cars around, horse trading, he ran a body shop and dealt with all of the used car lots so he had inside deals...Back then, there were a lot of mustangs. Camaros, mopars, etc. my favorite uncle had a 65, I think, sport fury with a 426 hemi and used to let me sit on his lap and " drive" til he went to nam. We lived on Main Street in Kirkersville, the closest town to national trails raceway. Every Sunday there were seemingly hundreds of cool cars. Between that and the little ice cream store that sold hot rod mags, I was hooked from inception. It seemed that everyone had a hot rod, or at least a muscle car. My first hot rod was a Schwinn five speed bike with 21" cheeter slick, 12" front wheel with springer forks, a bar mounted "floor shifter", " my beans still hurt" banana seat, tall sissy bar, ape hanger bars, chrome fenders, and nothing would do until my dad finally painted the frame metal flake blue. Those were the days! My cousin finished ruining me when he picked me up from school, sick, in his 68 goat with a 4 speed. Man that thing would put you back in the seat. I always loved the 66' musang fastback. My dad had numerous stangs, my fav was a black 66 fastback with a 289 hi po 4 speed. That was in elementary school, once I got to middle and high school, there was no turning back. I was always building models and doing custom paint jobs with my dads body shop spray cans, lol. I actually won awards for a couple....I want to go back!

My first hot rod memory occurred in the late '60s when I was about 8 years old. At the time my dad was buying and restoring/fixing older vettes and then reselling them. (Back then this actually was an affordable hobby.) One vette was a hot rodded '64 roadster with checkered flag upholstery and massive sidepipes. My mom and I were in it at a stop light one day when a hot rodded '68 Nova rolled up next to us and started revving his engine, then smiled at my mom. She casually turned toward me and said "tighten your seat belt and don't tell your father." When we got the green both cars roared off the line fast but that Nova was soon left far behind us. That experience made quite an impression on me!

My mom was still hot-rodding in her ’56 Chevy wagon until her late seventies. At that point she got a very hefty speeding ticket (75 mph in a 35 mph zone) when returning from a quilting bee. (The NY State Trooper was VERY surprised to find a gray-haired grandma driving that car, with her quilting materials sitting on the passenger seat beside her.) Eventually my mom went to court and told the judge that she’d been driving that way all her life, but that she always knew she’d have to stop once it became a problem. She told him that it was now a problem, and promised to slow down to the speed limit from that point forward; the judge took her at her word and reduced her ticket down to 54 mph (which resulted in a still significant fine but no points on her license). True to her word, Mom hasn’t exceeded the speed limit since that day. However, she still encourage me to gun it “to clean the cobwebs out” whenever I am driving her around in her Chevy and, being my mother’s son, I obviously have to oblige her.)

Pete

The first hot rod I saw was a '40 Ford my best friend had. It was a 2 door sedan with SBC (265 I think) with stock trans and rear end. Got good at swapping trans and axle keys before it was over! That was about 1958 or 59.

If not the first definitely one of the first. I was about 11 or 12 and my Dad took me to a car show at the Nashville fairgrounds coliseum. Guess what was there? Kookie's 77 Sunset Strip bucket. I vividly remember the car. They also had a Triumph bike with the same paint scheme. It is kind of like some of the other show cars no telling how many Kookie cars traveled the show circuit.

A friend of mine had a '50 ford coupe , motor was shot, so he bought a cadillac motor & put it in the '50 ford . This was when chevrolet come out with v-8's in 55, 56 & 57 . . A lot of people wondered what was in it. He souped up the caddy motor . He would put it in low gear & run it up to 65 mph & shift in to 2nd.. He loved stoplights, when it turned green the drag was under way... He got so he was putting oldsmobile motors in Fords & Mercurys for people. He later started farming , everthing he owned had a different motor in it. Even his grain truck , he pulled out the flathead & put a oldsmobile motor in it. He really enjoyed his motors & there power. I used to ride around with him.I enjoyed it.

When I was in high school back in the 60's there was a kid that had a 55 Ford coupe.
It was painted black primer, had chrome wheels and glass packs. I always thought that was so cool!

Here is a photo of a almost copy of the Kookie car. It is owned by a member of our club here in Tulsa.
Lee

My dad has had hot rods before I was even born. They have been a part of my life since day one so I really dont remember the first hot rod but I do remember my first chopper. I was 10 and my friends dad built a Honda 750 four chopper. I'm 52 now and I still remember that bike.

My dad had a '60 Olds Super 88 with the 394 dual quad and optional "corrosion-lightening package". PRNDSL, baby!

If that doesn't count, my first up-close encounter was around '70 or '71 when I could touch, see, and smell the Gratiot Auto Supply '23 T, complete with Firestone Indy Car tires and brass lamps.

Goes back to when I was a kid.....Reading popular mechanics and Hot Rod magazine. They always had T bucket kit advertisements for like $2500. A kids father down the street had a corvette yellow bucket once I saw that I was hooked. Well, the thought at least was always there. Years back, I went to a snowmobile show and saw one and the next week pulled the trigger.....Yeah mistake, a f^&**(& blast it was but, not the ticket (for you guy in the South and West) a snowmobile is a half tracked sled with skis on it and a large engine (joking).....Braking 100 mph on snow is a rush. Next, my dad bought my brother a muscle car when he was in high school, a '70 chevelle, I have always been jealous of that. Still wanting to build a T bucket from when I was younger.....the thought never left my head. Finally, getting close to retirement I started looking again....started weighing a runner verses a kit, complete build and settled on a pre-built. Seeing I am not completely tooled up for a complete build thought that was the rational choice. My wife could not understand why, the uncertainties going into retirement and not knowing what my next job will be etc....well, let's just say she almost divorced me (at least in my mind) not a happy camper was she to say the least.....even more unhappy after spending the money and tearing the thing down four days later to a box of bolts and bare frame, I think she wanted to cry, while I had a grin on my face ear to ear, ready to dig in. Just over a year later about to fire and put into local shows, my wife has warmed up to it and even sat in it last week. I am not completely satisfied but, more than happy as I put a lot of work into this project, and changed many things from the original build. I salute you all that build from scratch, what an undertaking that would be and what beautiful finished projects I have seen. I lay sleepless at night thinking about what needs to be done yet or what to do next. Not even done with this one yet, looking forward to my next build going even deeper. Many of you have inspired me seeing what you are willing to take on.....

On a completely different note, I went to a couple car show last year and was very disappointed at what was on display. The times that old fat fender and early 20, 30 and 40 cars seem to have past. Now, mustangs, corvettes and even modern day rice burner cars seem to populate the show. Just wondering if everyone else is seeing the same trend? Very disturbing to say the least!!

Get your car going and you won't believe how much fun you will have. I drove my avatar from Arlanta Ga. for my honeymoon in '71. Building another one now! You never outgrow it!

Tjbucket, what you said about all the newer rides at shows and cruises holds true here in the Orlando area also. It is sad to see, in my opinion, when you go to an event you might as well go to a new car dealership and see the same thing. All these guys need is a check book and no creativity and they are all set. Truly sad. IMHO

Jim

I started reading Hot Rod magazine in the early 50's and liked all the cars featured I wanted to have a hot rod (no specific type) but other life events got in the way, and I didn't think it would ever happen. When I saw Norm's Kookie car in Life Magazine was when I decided a T-bucket was my favorite but still just a dream. I was finally able to get a bucket when I was I was in my late 50's because I was in much better financial shape and had an encouraging wife. I bought a car that was completed (not a kit car) and have enjoyed driving and modifying it to suit me ever since.

I started reading Hot Rod magazine in the early 50's and liked all the cars featured I wanted to have a hot rod (no specific type) but other life events got in the way, and I didn't think it would ever happen. When I saw Norm's Kookie car in Life Magazine was when I decided a T-bucket was my favorite but still just a dream. I was finally able to get a bucket when I was I was in my late 50's because I was in much better financial shape and had an encouraging wife. I bought a car that was completed (not a kit car) and have enjoyed driving and modifying it to suit me ever since.

My story parallels yours just a bit. I started out reading my uncle's old '50s hot rod mags when I was a kid. The one that caught my eye was Tweedy Pie from before Big Daddy Ed Roth got ahold of it. After college I heeded my dad's guidance, and set aside my car obsession...and gave up on my life goal of building my own car from the ground up. 33 years later, with the encouragement of my wife, I decided to take a shot at tha long abandoned goal.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back