Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Perils of Budget Hot Rodding

dick stave

So, I bought Chet's e-book and read most of it and it's pretty good. You can see where I'm at in the project section and I think things are going pretty good. I went out and bought a '78 Cutlass donor car with a decent 305 /turbo 350. I got a "basic" '78-up GM "caliper"and 11" rotors to early ford spindle (I'm using '40 ford axle and spindles)kit so I'm all set. I bolted it up tonight and two things became very apparant. I have all kinds of thrust play with my rotors, and the chances of getting the outer brake pads on are zero. W.T.F.? I'm a reasonable man, so I re-read the instructions and as far as I can tell I have assembled it correctly. I then read the bill of materials and they don't mention in the catalog (no names mentioned S------y) that it uses '73-'77 rotors, and'78 up calipers. I pull a rotor ,get out the tape 10 1/2". To add insult to injury the guy I bought the Cutlass off of had 2 right hand calipers on the car (that I cleaned up and painted I might add ).Hey Bill, thanks for the heads up.
I learn by my mistakes, and I will prevail. Laugh about it, I did. You are a good bunch on this forum and I hope you enjoyed the tale.
Best regards, Jeff.

So, I bought Chet's e-book and read most of it and it's pretty good. You can see where I'm at in the project section and I think things are going pretty good. I went out and bought a '78 Cutlass donor car with a decent 305 /turbo 350. I got a "basic" '78-up GM "caliper"and 11" rotors to early ford spindle (I'm using '40 ford axle and spindles)kit so I'm all set. I bolted it up tonight and two things became very apparant. I have all kinds of thrust play with my rotors, and the chances of getting the outer brake pads on are zero. W.T.F.? I'm a reasonable man, so I re-read the instructions and as far as I can tell I have assembled it correctly. I then read the bill of materials and they don't mention in the catalog (no names mentioned S------y) that it uses '73-'77 rotors, and'78 up calipers. I pull a rotor ,get out the tape 10 1/2". To add insult to injury the guy I bought the Cutlass off of had 2 right hand calipers on the car (that I cleaned up and painted I might add ).Hey Bill, thanks for the heads up.
I learn by my mistakes, and I will prevail. Laugh about it, I did. You are a good bunch on this forum and I hope you enjoyed the tale.
Best regards, Jeff.

I went through 3 sets of rotors before I got the correct ones. Pretty sure I ended up with rotors off a 75 Monte Carlo.

Which kit are you using? Are the brackets cast or are they flat plate steel?

Also there should be no play in the rotors regardless which type you are using, the only difference is the offset. Did you install the bearing adapters from the kit? You should have needed to press on an adapter to the spindle, then change out the rear bearing race on the rotor.

Hey Keeper, The caliper brackets I have are the Speedway cast ones with the offset.It was my fault to assume the '78 rotors would work (10 1/2" dia.)
I have the bearing adapters pressed onto the '40 ford spindles, and the supplied inner races, bearings, and seals fit in my '78 rotors perfectly. It wasn't until I final assembled that I found the problem. The thrust play is about 3/16" and the calipers definitely don't align properly. I will probably have to go to the auto parts store and buy a set of rotors and calipers. Those old G.M. intermediates just don't exist in the wrecking yards out here anymore. So much for doing it on the cheap. I have been following your build here and on the Canadian Rodder forums and I think you do excellent work. I really like the way you did your brake pedal assembly and I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas.
Best regards, Jeff.

We've all bought the perfect part that just wouldn't work. Welcome to the club! Mine was a pair of '37-'40 spindles at a swap meet for $15 that turned out to be '35-6's. Still have them hanging on the wall in the shop to remind me of my initation fee to the club.

Ron

Raybestos 5214

Those are the rotors I have with that same kit.

I used a 75 Monte Carlo with a 4bbl 350 for the "Parts Counter Person" search.

Thanks, Guys. I have a friend who gets a serious discount at the big box autoparts joint out here on the left coast, and I put him on the case (went with the '75 Monte rotors and some of those magical metric calipers as well)I get treated like a leaper at a kissing booth.L.O.L. Hey, i'll just keep throwing money at it and it will get done. Jeff.

One problem solved now on to the next one. Are ya havin' fun yet?

Ron

One problem solved now on to the next one. Are ya havin' fun yet?

Ron

Thats why we call this the hobby of "CUSTOM" cars right?? :rofl:

Definition of Custom from your parts provider:

"This item may or may not fit or work as intended. The purchaser assumes all responsibility for aquiring all equipment and tooling necessary for making these parts fit and or work properly, and/or making completely new parts that will fit and work as intended.

I suppose that this, coupled with my creative desire to make things is how I would up with a complete machine shop. LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back