Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The way I see it

2old2fast

We've had , at various times had folks come here w/drivability issues...We know that they're usually over-cammed , over-carbed ,w/owners who can't seem to get them "tamed"...occasionally they've been met w : how in the heck would you possibly expect that combo to ever run right ??? Well , in truth , they'll probably never run "right". However , many of us who grew up in the 60's & spent a good share of our mis-spent youth , cruising "the gut" , it's more about looks & sound than it is about actual "performance". Let's face it , these cars , for the most part , will never see a drag-strip...for one , they'd never let us run [too unsafe], for another , it's not critically important.... we really don't care what a time slip would say , we only care about "the look " & "the sound".... The point is, w/out all the drama , we can ,collectivley, probably get you running & driving in an acceptable manner...Just myself has over 50 years experience building & tuning & I'm sure there are others far smarter than me.... AFA the T bucket /dual-quad/tunnel ram / big cam thing , I've been in an ongoing "tuning" session w/my car for 13 years & 40K miles w/a variety of combos ....so bring on your problems , we more than likely can help..
dave

'

But, as is typical in these situations, how you perceive something is based on your perspective. And the two of us do not share the same perspective.

This is a problem that has really had me thinking, a lot, these last couple weeks. Something needs to be done, but in all honesty, I do not know what that something is. Yes, this is a long-winded post, but step into my world a while, and see things from this perspective. If someone has a sensible solution to this whole support issue, I am all ears. Let me hear your thoughts and ideas. Maybe you are the person who can take this forum to the next level, aye?

I read this particular analogy on another site, but it fits this one, just as well.

Imagine this forum as being a big swimming pool, with separate lanes established. Each lane has a different swimming style, so we do not get people swimming a breast stroke in the crawler's lane, or vice-versa.

The problems come into play when someone decides they want to be a crawler, so they jump into the crawler's lane. Never mind that they have jumped into a swimming pool, without benefit of actually knowing how to swim. So what ends up happening is these people splash and flounder about, stopping anyone who is trying to swim a crawl stroke, and asking them for instructions on how to swim.

What's the sensible answer, here? Isn't it to suggest the non-swimmer get out of the crawling lane, and go get in the beginner's pool, so they can learn how to swim? Yet, when that solution is offered, the non-swimmers take immediate offense. They claim to be receiving rude treatment, when in fact, they are the ones behaving rudely. They are splashing around, in the wrong lane, wasting the time of the swimmers who simply want to practice their crawl stroke. The crawl lane is not there for people who do not know how to swim, that is what the beginner's pool is all about.

And it doesn't end there. You also have people who jump into the crawl lane, when they can only doggy-paddle. But just like the non-swimmers, the doggy-paddlers want everyone who passes by to teach them how to crawl. Again, what's the sensible response, here? Isn't it to tell the doggy-paddler to get out of the crawl lane, and to take up a position where they can observe the technique of the crawlers? Simply because the crawl lane is set aside for people who can crawl, not for people who cannot. If you cannot see the basics of the crawl stroke, and you need a swimming instructor to hold you up in the water, whilst teaching you how to move your arms, then the solution is as simple as that - you are in the wrong lane.

The first protest that is forming on the lips of everyone is that the crawl lane is apparently set aside for Olympic swimmers, and there is not an established place for less-accomplished crawlers. Which is not correct. The crawl lane is there for crawlers of all skill levels, to help them perfect their stroke. However, the fact remains the crawl lane is not there for someone who cannot even swim.

Sure, as with anything else, there will be crawlers who are there to show off their skills. They will swim with perfect strokes, they will swim faster than anyone else, and they will be condescendingly rude to anyone asking for help to perfect their own stroke. But those perfect swimmers are not representative of everyone in the lane, and if you pay attention, those are usually the people who are admonished to make nice, or to get out of the pool.

See how the analogy fits right in with the problems we regularly experience here?

We've got people jumping into the crawler's lane, who have zero idea of how to swim. And when it is pointed out they need to learn how to swim before they learn how to crawl, they get pissy about it. Stop and think about it - if someone asks for help, then gets nasty when you offer them the help they need the most, how much help were they really looking for, in the first place? They were never seeking help with a car problem, they were seeking attention for their ego problem.

People, it's one thing to build a model airplane, or a model car. Because no one is going to be trusting their lives by riding in those models. It's OK to build a shed in your back lawn, even if you've never swung a hammer in your life, because no one will be placing their personal safety in that shed.

Does anyone see the tremendous responsibility involved with the planning, building and operation of these motor vehicles? When you are turning left across oncoming traffic, what happens when you go for the throttle and the engine sputters and/or dies? Ever think about who you might be endangering with that wee problem? What about when you are pulling to a stop in a line of traffic, and that brake pedal suddenly drops to the floor? Ever think about who you might be endangering with that wee problem?

If you are going to build, or even just modify a motor vehicle, those processes come with great and tremendous responsibility.

Building a ton of motor vehicle, one that you intend to operate in a public place, where the lives and safety of other people are involved, is not a hand-holding pass time. It is something that not only assumes, but requires certain abilities on the part of the person doing the assembly. And if someone does not have those required abilities, then they are not only involved in the wrong hobby, they are endangering their own lives, as well as the lives of others. They are trying to pretend they can swim, when they really cannot, so not only are they in the wrong lane, they are in the wrong pool.

No two engines are alike. If someone comes here telling me they have what they think is a 377 SBC, with a 3/4 race cam, and a tunnel ram with two big, ol' Holley carbs on it, with the expectation that I can tell them exactly where the set their idle mixture screws, where to set their curb idle, what accelerator pump cams to use, what squirter nozzles to use, and what ignition timing to use, it just is not going to happen. That person needs to do some things. First off, he needs to learn what he has to work with. Then he needs to learn the condition of that engine, by performing simple compression and vacuum tests. Then he needs to see where things are already set, and what happens when he turns this knob to the right, and that knob to the left. Because if he is just guessing and pulling 'facts' out of his arse, then that is exactly the same level of advice anyone will be able to offer.

Want to know the next protest, people are going to present? They are going to try to suggest we are being elitist, because we rebuke their poorly-asked questions. Again, nothing could be further from the truth. We do not rebuke their questions because we are elitist, we rebuke them because they are trivial questions that the asker could have easily solved with just the slightest bit of research. But hey, why should I bother to use a search engine to discover the firing order on a 1989 350 Chevrolet, when I can come here and ask the same question? See, instead of using my own time to do my own research, I can involve two or three more people, by having them answer my trivial question. And I need you to think about this one, as well. If I cannot be bothered to learn the firing order by doing some stupid-simple research, then I am really not wanting to learn anything, am I? I am just here to use up other people's time, by asking trivial questions. And that makes me out to be nothing more than a help vampire. I am only here to suck the life out of the members of the community who are kind enough to lend their expertise. And in the so-doing, I am making sure my trivial static reduces the signal-to-noise ratio on the threads where the questions are actually not so trivial.

I belong to Linux support forums where if you ask a question without providing full details on the problem, with log files to support those details, as well as a complete outline on the research you have already done, as well as the steps you have already taken to solve the problem, then things get pretty ugly. If you're lucky, you will be outright ignored. If you've proven yourself to be a help vampire in the past, then chances are you will have the skin ripped off your face, as you are booted out the door. I do not want to see this place adopt the RTFM (Read The Feckin' Manual) method of support, but you see, RTFM does have a kinder and gentler cousin. STFW, which means to take the problem you know nothing about, and Search The Feckin' Web, before you start wasting other people's time.

This forum has a search function. Every appropriate thread ever posted is archived on this forum. Use the search function to see how many dozen times your exact question has been asked in the last eight-plus years, before you start wasting other people's time. And believe me, I am not offering this advice to be rude, I am offering it as a straight-forward, cut-the-bullshit offering, from someone who is interested in trying to help people fix genuine problems, rather than handing out warm and fuzzy hugs to make people feel special. Like it or no, you're never going to witness all of us, gathered in a circle, and singing Kumbaya.

Here is another secret on how to search. Use Google to search this site. Here, do this search -
Code:
help vampire: tbucketeers.com
See how that result is exactly what we wanted, and located on this site?

And guess what? It doesn't end there. Because I cannot begin to count the number of times I have witnessed a forum member asking for help, only to have a self-professed 'expert' (read: know-nothing) provide completely wrong answers to the questions asked. So, riddle me this - if someone waddles in here, asks a question on how to to repair his braking system, gets shite advice from a know-nothing, doesn't research the advice he was given, makes a shite repair then ends up injuring or killing someone because his faulty brake system repair failed, who do you think the plaintiff's attorney/s will be naming in the law suit? The know-nothing? You? Or is it going to be me, because I am the one who published the know-nothing's shite advice? Do I have disclaimers in place, to protect me from these kinds of suits? Well, I certainly hope my disclaimers will protect me. But the bottom line is that I cannot afford the attorney's fees, or the time spent in a courtroom, to see if a judge agrees with me.

Mind me relating how I had been exposed to dangerously-high levels of a very toxic chemical, whilst at work? Let me share with you how that played out. I made an appointment with my physician, because I wanted to know just how bad the exposure might have been. And when I walked into that examination room, my ducks were in a neat row. I explained what had happened to my sawbones, as I was placing the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product into his hands, along with a print-out from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Heath, with their recommendations on the chemical. I didn't wander in there with some lame explanation, saying that whilst the unknown stuff smelled really bad, and it made me have a bad cough, but not a really, really bad cough, I provided the doctor with as much information as I could. And the doctor? He didn't give me some lame suggestion, such as take two aspirin, drink plenty of fluids, and to call him in a week if I died. No, he immediately ordered a complete blood panel, so he could see if any of the organs that chemical targets had been affected by the exposure. I gave him the details he needed to start his diagnosis, and he didn't waste any time thinking about what direction to head. That is how to solve problems.

When someone (and I am really not trying to single anyone out, here) asks for help to stop a motor from detonating, then turns right around, in the same post, mind you, and says the motor runs just fine, what is the real question? Is the flippin' motor detonating? If yes, then it is not running fine, now is it?

Now, you are aware of how I see it. And you are aware that I see it from a completely different perspective than you. I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong, I am saying the system is flawed. I am saying we have people who have no clue about what they are actually trying to accomplish, who are asking silly and nonsensical questions. I am saying that it is not unusual to see those questions being responded to with equally silly and nonsensical answers. And if one of those silly and nonsensical answers ends up hurting someone, I know whose door will be getting chapped on, as the court hands out subpoenas.

The next time you start trying to hand out answers to another member's problems, take a deep breath and ask yourself this question - are you willing to assume liability and accept accountability for your response, even if your advice results in bodily harm? Because, you see, there is accountability and responsibility on both sides of this table. You say you have experience, but how can any of us know that to be true? And no, I do not have, nor do I intend to develop, a system whereby I can vet the qualifications of people.

I'm not naming names, but I've spoken at great length with one of our forum members, and I have plainly stated there are only a tiny handful of people here who I would accept a T-Bucket ride with. Because they are the only ones who have demonstrated their ability to sensibly plan, and to safely execute their plans.

Quite frankly, our support system is so flawed, I do not see a simple fix for it. Other than to simply stifle trivial questions, and not allow them to suck the lifeblood out of our community. If people cannot ask questions in a thoughtful and intelligent manner, show me where it says anyone in this community is expected to waste their time with a response. If people ask questions without being able to provide some simple facts about their problem, show me where it says anyone in this community is expected to dance that silly dance. And let's face it, with all of the different engine combinations our members bring to the table, how can anyone be expected to answer questions like 'why does my engine stumble off idle', without benefit of knowing all of the details of that particular combination?

So, let's clean up your offer. If you know what you are working with, and you know the details of its condition, and you know how to politely ask questions, and you know how to humbly accept advice that is offered, then post about the problem you are having. If you're not savvy enough to research your own problem, then get out of the crawler's lane, go get a pair of water wings, and jump into the beginner's pool, because you are in well over your head.

And if someone has a better plan, then let me hear what you have in mind.

Does anyone see the tremendous responsibility involved with the planning, building and operation of these motor vehicles? When you are turning left across oncoming traffic, what happens when you go for the throttle and the engine sputters and/or dies? Ever think about who you might be endangering with that wee problem? What about when you are pulling to a stop in a line of traffic, and that brake pedal suddenly drops to the floor? Ever think about who you might be endangering with that wee problem?

Welcome to my world. Coming up on 50 years as a helicopter mechanic.

And if you could see the real disasters in the hot rod world ..... . The ones that never get published. The way past piss poor welding examples that everyone laughs at, that are passed around in mock horror. The "I want to fully express my vision of what a hot rod should look like". And no one is going to stop them. "I am going to build an old school hot rod". Art cars. Rat Rods.
Does any one remember Blu Bear from the American Hot Rod series? He challenged Boyd Coddington to a build off and then a drive across the Western U.S.. Bear's car was a (I believe) 34 Ford coupe that was chopped, channeled, etc. using "old school" techniques. Blu Bear was a big (way over 6 feet), fat gofer (after the chop Bear could barely fit in the car, let alone drive it for 500 miles), that was ultimately fired by Coddington because Bear refused to properly reinforce (boxing) the frame of his 34. "Wasn't old school". "It will be fine".
Boyd's car was a T coupe that, beside the chop, any one here would give their left nut for.
Boyd said he would not let the car out of the shop unless it was safe, that included boxing the chassis. It never left the shop.

We live in America. Land of the free. Free to do anything we want to do. Including endangering other people to pursue our version of what our ego says is a wild, "old school" ride.

Thinking that Australia & New Zealand might not be over regulated after all.

John

<tumbleweed rolls through, to the accompaniment of a pin dropping>

John, those so-called reality shows are really little more than comedic relief. If the shows are actually reality shows, which implies they are shows about real-life, day-to-day happenings, please explain why those shows all employ writers.

I actually know one of the former Coddington employees. If you were a fan of the show, you might remember a ginger-haired fellow, named Brad, who ended up quitting his job in tears. Brad is John Johnston's son. The year we went to the World Finals, Brian loaned John, or J.J. as we call him, one of our V-6 motors, as J.J. had gutted his Nissan inline motor. We ended up racing (and losing to :() J.J., in the semi-finals of that race. We stayed at one of J.J.'s houses, whilst we were out there.

brian003.jpg

I suppose where I get in trouble is I can't come to grips w/the fact that someone who's "building" a car does not possess welding & fabrication skills ,basic chassis function knowledge ,at least some semblance of understanding about suspension & steering geometry, and least a solid knowledge about what makes an engine go....if we have to start at basic knowledge first , it'll be a long ,frustrating haul to get problems solved !! AFA liability issues , it's difficult to understand how someone [who knows nothing] taking bad advise off an internet forum could in any way , imply that said forum was in responsible for their problems . I have a friend who is well off enough to buy his toys , he makes no bones about the fact that he knows very little about his toys "workings"..he takes his toys to people who KNOW how to repair things.... so , for you guys who don't know , maybe your best move would be to take your problems to someone, instead of looking for a "magic pill" on the interweb !!
dave

I suppose where I get in trouble is I can't come to grips w/the fact that someone who's "building" a car does not possess welding & fabrication skills ,basic chassis function knowledge ,at least some semblance of understanding about suspension & steering geometry, and least a solid knowledge about what makes an engine go....if we have to start at basic knowledge first , it'll be a long ,frustrating haul to get problems solved !!
But those are the type of people we see, every day of the week.
AFA liability issues , it's difficult to understand how someone [who knows nothing] taking bad advise off an internet forum could in any way , imply that said forum was in responsible for their problems .
All someone has to do is perceive that a know-nothing is an expert, and that gets the ball rolling. Can our disclaimers withstand legal assault? Probably. OK, that might need to say 'maybe', instead. Can you afford to take time away from work, to test that theory in a court of law? Can you afford an attorney to represent you, in those proceedings? Let's call it what it is - a court case has naught to do with right and wrong, it is only about which shyster is better at lining the judge's pocket. The only people who ever 'win' a court case are the shysters who get the favorable judgments.
I have a friend who is well off enough to buy his toys , he makes no bones about the fact that he knows very little about his toys "workings"..he takes his toys to people who KNOW how to repair things.... so , for you guys who don't know , maybe your best move would be to take your problems to someone, instead of looking for a "magic pill" on the interweb !!
The problem lies in the fact that these types of people don't know enough to understand they have to maintain their rides. All they know is they can drag the car they purchased out on a nice weekend and drive it. And if something happens that will not allow them to enjoy the weekend, they have no clue how to go about fixing the problem. They just want that 'magic pill', and they want it right now, because the weekend is getting away from them. They do not want to learn how to diagnose their problem, they want to know where to set all the knobs and dials, so they can cruise the local spot and tell lies about how they built their car. Learning is a waste of their time.

Here's an example -

h2o.png

The overwhelming number of people who read the above are going to go into full-goose panic mode, followed by extreme bouts of outrage. How in the world can companies like these get away with poisoning our children, with this dangerous dihydrogen monoxide?

And believe me, it gets even worse. There are going to be incredibly high levels of dihydrogen monoxide in your home, as well, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom. And let me tell you, swimming pools are full of the stuff.

Have you figured it out, yet? Di = two. Mono = one. Two hydrogen, one oxygen. It can also be shown as H2O, which is the chemical we refer to as water.

I've been laughing my backside off, all day, watching all of the socially-aware experts condemning dihydrogen monoxide, over on Google+.

It's just one more example of the 21st Century premise, which says if you read it on the InterTubez, then it must be true.

While I understand exactly WHAT you're saying , careful about SEEMING to demean autism ...personally , it hits real close to home ..
dave

Oh, trust me, I am not making light of autism. Not at all, as I also have family who suffer from it. But dihydrogen monoxide has naught to to with it, at all. And it's the stupidity of people who are running with the dihydrogen monoxide gimmick that I am demeaning.

High percentages of dihydrogen monoxide are found in all human beings, not just children with autism.

We've had , at various times had folks come here w/drivability issues...We know that they're usually over-cammed , over-carbed ,w/owners who can't seem to get them "tamed"...occasionally they've been met w : how in the heck would you possibly expect that combo to ever run right ??? Well , in truth , they'll probably never run "right". However , many of us who grew up in the 60's & spent a good share of our mis-spent youth , cruising "the gut" , it's more about looks & sound than it is about actual "performance". Let's face it , these cars , for the most part , will never see a drag-strip...for one , they'd never let us run [too unsafe], for another , it's not critically important.... we really don't care what a time slip would say , we only care about "the look " & "the sound".... The point is, w/out all the drama , we can ,collectivley, probably get you running & driving in an acceptable manner...Just myself has over 50 years experience building & tuning & I'm sure there are others far smarter than me.... AFA the T bucket /dual-quad/tunnel ram / big cam thing , I've been in an ongoing "tuning" session w/my car for 13 years & 40K miles w/a variety of combos ....so bring on your problems , we more than likely can help..
dave

'

Dave all sounds real good. Here is a challenge for you, that will help out a lot of people.

Build a 350 Chevy for us. Do an article from scratch, and build us a 350 Chevy that you would build to put in a 1600 lb T Bucket. Most all of the kits we build are built for a 350 eng with a 350 trans and most have about a 3.73 gear in the rear. A typical car that will be driven quite a bit, in town and highway.

Spec one out with all the details.

Every mass murderer in the world has consumed that evil brew, Dihydroxygen Monoxide. Then again, so has/did every genius ever born.'Food'. for thought.

Too much of the population have become professional whiners and are constantly looking for the next target of their outrage. Seeing as how we are prevented, for the most part, from targeting the real culprits.

News as a profit center.Agenda promotion over fact.
A republic that no longer is interested in representing the constituency, because big money speaks louder than integrity.

RPM ,no friggen way in $%&l I'm gonna get caught by that , advice is like opinions;)......... easy out , go buy a crate motor , your checkbook can be the deciding factor, plenty to choose from :whistling:
dave

RPM ,no friggen way in $%&l I'm gonna get caught by that , advice is like opinions
And now, it seems you are seeing this whole 'Dear Abby' support thing from the same perspective as myself.

You are exactly right, advice can be the same as opinion, which means it is often misleading, often off-target, often outright wrong, and generally of no real use to anyone. 99 times out of 100, the person you give the best advice to does not want to hear what you are saying, because their minds are already made up.

In your original post, you are talking about a poorly designed engine build, one that has the wrong intake, the wrong carb/s, the wrong camshaft, etc. But you are also referring to a stoplight to stoplight driver.

RPM is talking more about a reliable, daily driver, one that you would not hesitate to drive to the grocery, any more than you would hesitate to drive 200 miles to the next car show.

See the difference? And the unfortunate reality of the situation is that some fellows want to beat that new Hemi Challenger to the next stoplight, whereas some fellows want to take a quiet cruise in the country on a warm, summer night. Two, completely different driving styles, which would amount to two, completely different engine styles. With two, completely different tuning styles.

Now. How are we to advise the next fellow who comes along with some engine creation that should have been aborted, whilst it was still somebody's wet dream?

A smart engine build is one that is purpose-built, but most people cannot honestly identify their engine's true purpose. So, this cyclical nightmare (that is, even now, happening again) of trying to help people to help themselves just grows uglier and uglier.

Are you starting to catch my drift, now?

So I guess it all boils down to this ...If you've built or bought a setup that doesn't perform , here's what you need to do ...come up w/ a whole bunch of experience , study until you learn what you need to know , as in ; figure out what you have , learn how to use a timing light , learn how to setup the fuel curve for your engine , learn how to re-curve a distributor , learn how to read plugs ...the list is endless , course , that's what makes it so much fun !!!:roflmao:
dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back