Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The "what's left of my build thread!"

Here are a few more:

Front brake lines and hold-off valve.

DSCF0985.jpg

Front brake hoses and new drum brakes. Had to fab a support for the middle of the hose. The quarter eliptic front end is pretty far out away from the frame.

DSCF0778.jpg

Master cylinder and valves.

DSCF0994.jpg

Fuel pump and filter

DSCF0992.jpg

Here are the exhaust supports. The cushions are poly sway bar ends. The band is a 3 1/2" stainless exhaust band clamp that I cut in half. It's polished and blends into the chrome pretty good.

DSCF0995.jpg

And now(small drum roll please) here are the final build up pics. All that's left is paint,wiring and a little minor welding. This is pretty much what the Coyote Special will look like on the road.

DSCF0996.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1009.jpg

A couple close-ups of the engine.

DSCF1010.jpg

DSCF0999.jpg

Thanks RPM.

This is the first time I've seen it all together myself, except in my head. I just sat for awhile and looked at it. It came out pretty much like I wanted it to.

Mike

Mike, I like what I see. Nice attention to detail. looking forward to the finishing touches. I just know you have a few more tricks up your sleeve.

Ron

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm looking forward to the "finishing" part of this build.

Looks like I have a lot of sanding in my future!

The Louisiana Titling process for "Special Construction Vehicles" is kind of convoluted and drawn out, but the trooper I spoke with doesn't see any problems with what I have. I'm hoping it will be over with soon so I can get the rest of the work finished.

I still have to build my engine, but that is one of my favorite parts. I'm saving that for "dessert". Sort of the iceing on the cake.

Ron, don't know if I have a lot of tricks left. Just hope I can finish with a good clean, well detailed build.

Mike

Thats just way cool. :cool: I like the attention to detail.

Ah..come on Mike...with what I see there, I just know your mind is still working. Betcha come up with somethin'.

Ron

Hi everybody! I've been MIA for a while.

One of my other interests is my motorcycle and it has been taking up most of my time. I sold my Kawasaki Nomad and have been concentrating on the GL1500 Goldwing I got from my dad. The wing sat for a long time and the carbs were in pretty bad shape. My wife and I rode it to Missouri last year, but it just didn't run quite right. It stumbled pretty bad on take off and stalled easy if you weren't really careful with the clutch. This year I pulled the carbs and went through them. Not a job for the faint of heart, but well worth it. The old bike purrrs like a kitten now. We took a little trip through New Orleans and down the Gulf coast last week and it never skipped a beat.

My bucket project hasn't been completely at a standstill though. The good news is that I did get my serial number and plates from the state. It had to be registered as a 2008 assembled vehicle which I didn't like, but so far no one has said anything about emissions. Louisiana doesn't follow the SEMA model that allows replica vehicles to be registered as the year they represent. I hope that changes in the future.

Buying a title for a T would be pretty risky here since the state workers make sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed. You would probably still need a notarized bill of sale from the person listed on the title since Louisiana will not accept a witnessed title transfer. If any "red flags" go up, you will have to get an inspection by a state trooper from the "Towing and Recovery" department. Getting the registration I did is not ideal, but was less risky.

It's still a very convoluted process that has taken over a month and 2 trips to the state office in Baton Rouge. As an example of how persnickety the state is, my insurance card had my car listed as a "2008 Ford T Bucket", but the state would not accept that. I had to get new cards that listed it as a "2008 Assembled T Bucket"! While I was there, I ran into a guy trying to get an assembled motorcycle registered. He was on his 4th trip and didn't think he was going to go home with papers. I can assure you that very little "rule bending" will go on. Worse yet, the lady I that processed my stuff said the rules change so fast that they have a hard time keeping up.

I had been given the numbers for Towing and Recovery before I started building and the trooper had told me what kind of paperwork I would need when the time came. I have a long temper, but got very frustrated a couple of times. I knew that getting an "attitude" would do me more harm than good, so all I could do was sit there and say "Yes, mam" and "No, mam". You are completely at their mercy.

I've also been contemplating an engine change. I picked up a '66 283 and have it at the machine shop getting checked out right now. If it's rebuildable, then it'll be my new powerplant. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 300HP 327 cam and better heads than the old Power Pack units that it has now. Maybe bump the CR as high as I can on pump gas. Should be good for 250+ HP and really sip gas with the 3X2's.

I've also just got started doing a little sanding and body work.

Mike

Hotrod46 said:
I have a long temper, but got very frustrated a couple of times. I knew that getting an "attitude" would do me more harm than good, so all I could do was sit there and say "Yes, mam" and "No, mam". You are completely at their mercy.

Mike

Working with local government can be a huge challenge. I haven't even started my car project, and I get a sick feeling in my gut just thinking about what it will take me to get it licensed.

Keeping your cool is the best thing to do. When I decided to build my own house, or more like a big shop with living overhead, I had to jump through the most frustrating hoops. It took 11 months and cost me over $8,000 dollars before I could get the go-ahead for my project. On top of that, they forced me to do all kinds of capital improvements like replacing the alley apron, paving part of the alley, and replacing sidewalks before I would be allowed to receive my certificate of occupancy (they sprung most of that on me at the finish line).

There were so many frustrating times during my project I SWORE I would run for Mayor of Fort Collins. And if by some slime chance I won, the first thing I would do if FIRE all the people who I had to work with. It was that bad. :sad:

But instead, I kept my mouth shut and lived. My project got finished enough for me to move in. I love where I am at, and the fact I live in a building I designed and built myself. I still think it would be fun to run for Mayor and do some house cleaning. :pint:

David

And the scary part is people look to the gov'ment to solve their problems. Yikes! :pint:

In Texas, a car registered as an AV is exempt from emissions and safety regulations that a manufacturer has to meet.

Photoman said:
In Texas, a car registered as an AV is exempt from emissions and safety regulations that a manufacturer has to meet.

I've been told(not officially though) that Louisiana goes with 1966 standards for assembled vehicles. This came from a guy that built a Cobra replica and supposedly came from the inspecting trooper.

The main trouble with this state is that the written regulations are very hard to come by. It would be nice if they were online and searchable. BTW I made this suggestion to the people at the state office, but I doubt it'll happen.

What a great build Mike, and the Guide 682-C's, you rule!! The rear nerf is great addition also.
Noteworthy!

JC

Thanks JC!

Youngster said:
Might be a little late for you Mike but;

DMV.ORG - Louisiana - Search Results for Custom Cars

Ron

Ron, thanks for the link, but that info is just a little,.....shall we say......condensed!:lol:

Just to give an example, you're supposed to get a "Letter of Rejection" from the state office before you can even get the trooper to come do a physical inspection on your T.

Here's another. Let's say you own a vehicle that you want to use the drivetrain out of in your T and you have a title for that vehicle in your name, you still have to get a "Permit to Dismantle" for that vehicle before you can use the parts in your T. AND.....you have to get that vehicle inspected by a trooper BEFORE you can take it apart!!!!:lol::rolleyes::eek:

Honest, I ain't makin' this stuff up!

Mike

That's not good news. I was hoping to go by the page on Minnesota for my title. Oh well....it's supposed to be for our protection, right?

Ron

Youngster said:
Oh well....it's supposed to be for our protection, right?

Ron

Ron

I know that all these rules have been put in place to combat chop shops, but I think the complexity of doing it the "right" way actually encourages people to try and beat the system. There is no way that this process should be so hard.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back