Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Thoughts on a T-Bucket kit?

Hi Everyone,

I am finishing up a WAY over time project that I will sell to fund my T-Bucket project. I have owned many, many cars, hot rods, muscle cars and bikes over the years so I know my way around a car. I am a pretty decent home wrench type. For several reasons my last project got stalled and did not go as planned, but it is almost done now. I want to sell it to fund my Dream T before I get too old to do it.

I have researched a lot of different options. One hold up is I am 6'5 and 280 lbs with size 15EEEE feet. I know I need a stretched and widened car for sure like the Spirit. I like the long low look anyway....

I also really like the concept that Detroit Speedcraft offers in their '23 Hot Rod in a Box. They even offer a Fat version that is even bigger.

detroitspeedcraft dot com

What I like about it is you get a fully engineered car that can be driven on the highway at 75mph without taking your life in your hands so to speak. Drive line, suspension and the rest are actually engineered to work together not cobbled together. I guess it is more of a complete custom street rod than a conglomeration of parts just put together. Am I making any sense here?

The other thing I really like is I am 99.9% sure I could finish one of these kits in a very reasonable amount of time (free time is something I do not have a lot of) like around 100 hours or so.

Have a look, tell me what you think! I would go for the truck look with the 40" bed.

Bigfoot, the Speedcraft kits look pretty good and I'm sure they deserve the positive reviews I've read about them. I've never actually laid eyes on one though.

With your back problems, I suggest you find someone that has one and try it on for size. Go for a ride if possible. Even the best T's can be rough riding at times. Also, can you crawl over the side? You might consider a body with a door. I don't see a body like that on Speedcraft's website.

As far as the engineering goes. I don't see anything special about their setup. Pretty much common straight axle stuff with a z'd frame front and rear. As far as it not being a " conglomeration of parts just put together", well, that describes pretty much any hot rod including the Speedcraft! I see that they assemble AND align their chassis. Alignment is something that many builders miss.

Any well built T should be able to cruise at 75 without any trouble. I doubt the Speedcraft car will drive any better than a properly built and ADJUSTED CCR or Spirit car. Both of them have been proven over the years.

The only advantage I see with their setup is the unchanneled body gives a little more room, but the raised transmission tunnel takes all that back. That's the reason for the "vent" on the cowl. Otherwise you would have less footroom than my standard T.

Mike

PS - CCR has a new roadster pickup that looks really good.

Bigfoot,

Welcome to the site.

You should really check out the body at Ron Pope Motorsport (RPM is one of this site's sponsors). It has a 10" stretch!

Mark

I'm not as tall as you but I too am gravity impaired! I bought a Spirit stretched body and added extra long doors. Foot space is very precious in these and I ran across a mid-engine car I'm considering adapting to the bucket body. This may be to soon to let that cat out of the bag, but I'm real excited about that concept, but I digress. Shadow rods has an over size bucket on a '32 chassis that is real interesting, but I hate to steer you from our sponsors. All our sponsors offer larger versions of the T but door choice is a big consideration. Spirit is closest to you and usually have a car around for a test fit. I would advise that and wish you good luck with your project whatever path you take. John

Speedcraft is a good choice. I've ridden in them and the handle great. I don't really like the foot/scoop on the cowl of the body or the strange looking steering box mount but it works.

"engineered to work together" sounds like a sales pitch to me... I doubt there anymore "engineered" than any well built bucket.... as for going down the road at 75 , well, mine does that , however if you consider what you're driving it's no more safe or unsafe than the nut behind the wheel & all the other nuts you're sharing the road with... AFA the chassis being "aligned" , any competent builder would do that as part of the build..... Jeez , I hate advertising hype..
dave
Oh yeah , I thought a hotrod WAS a" conglomeration of parts" !!!!

"engineered to work together" sounds like a sales pitch to me... I doubt there anymore "engineered" than any well built bucket.... as for going down the road at 75 , well, mine does that , however if you consider what you're driving it's no more safe or unsafe than the nut behind the wheel & all the other nuts you're sharing the road with... AFA the chassis being "aligned" , any competent builder would do that as part of the build..... Jeez , I hate advertising hype..
dave
Oh yeah , I thought a hotrod WAS a" conglomeration of parts" !!!!
LOL The "engineered to work together" is from me :) and I do not even work with them.... It probably comes from me reading about the designers. One was an automotive engineer from Ford as opposed to an atom smasher like me.

I agree with O.R.F. If spirit is close to you by all means check them out. I like the look of speedcraft cars. If I had the cash, I would get one. A kit from anyone may be what you need, if time, space, and ability is not on your side.

Well I guess I'm out of the conversation, I built my own including the Frame (with correct Akerman) and did most of the fiberglass body. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Well I guess I'm out of the conversation, I built my own including the Frame (with correct Akerman) and did most of the fiberglass body. Good luck with whatever you chose.

We did that also and built our own body. I say, do whatever you can, dependent on your talents and connections, and you'll enjoy your accomplishment. Just make it SAFE!

Jim

We did that also and built our own body. I say, do whatever you can, dependent on your talents and connections, and you'll enjoy your accomplishment. Just make it SAFE!

Jim

Safe should be the first on the list,ALWAYS!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back