Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tires and wheels

Martin

Has anyone ever tried the Mickey Thompson E/T Street Radial tires? I am thinking about the 315/60/15 for the rear, and was wondering if anyone had an opinion of these tires one way or the other.
If I am starting from scratch, is one wheel bolt pattern easier to deal with than the others, or is it just a coin toss.

Martin said:
Has anyone ever tried the Mickey Thompson E/T Street Radial tires? I am thinking about the 315/60/15 for the rear, and was wondering if anyone had an opinion of these tires one way or the other.

I can't speak to the radials but I had M/T Sportsman and Sportsman Pros on my T and I was very satisfied.

If I am starting from scratch, is one wheel bolt pattern easier to deal with than the others, or is it just a coin toss.
No. It's a coin toss. If you run the huge M/Ts on the back they are both a pain in the a$$ to mount on the lugs no matter the bolt pattern. Chevy has a 5 on 4-3/4 pattern and Ford has 5 on 4-1/2. I would match the front spindles to the rear axle pattern if for no other reason than aesthetics. Of course the pattern is really not noticeable when going down the Interstate at 75 mph.

What are the specs (diameter, height, tread width, etc.) on the tires you are thinking about? Sound like it could a good size for my next T. I want to run 'big and littles' but I don't want the monsters like I had before. I'm getting too old to jockey them into position and lift them onto the lug bolts.

Martin said:

I have seen the new Mickey Radials and they look nice.

I can name 10 - 15 folks who swear by the Hoosier Pro Street Radial and would never buy the MT Bias ply tire again.

I believe the Hoosiers are a bit cheaper than the MT's.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/strttire.htm

prorear.GIF

"What are the specs (diameter, height, tread width, etc.) on the tires you are thinking about? Sound like it could a good size for my next T. I want to run 'big and littles' but I don't want the monsters like I had before. I'm getting too old to jockey them into position and lift them onto the lug bolts."

The 315/60s are 30 inch OD, and 11 inch tread width. They also have a 295/65/15 that is the same OD but one inch narrower.

I like these because I want a matching tread pattern front and rear and they have them in smaller sizes too. Not really skinny, but small enough for me.

I was originally looking at BFG TAs, but it looks like they discontinued the 285/70. Coker has something similar, but the tread width is only 8.6 inches and I want a little more width.

Martin the Hoosier is available in sizes ranging from 24x7.50R-15 to 33x21.50R-15. There is a 12.5 wide tire in a 29 0r 31 diam. I'm running the 31x16.50s on mine. I think that size is perfect for me.

ArtinthePark53071.jpg

I jack the car up until the rear wheel is 2" off the ground. When I replace the tire I use a flat shovel which gives me lifting leverage under the tire,installs very easy!. I have the M/T radials with the flame pattern and they are great.

I wrote to Mickey Thompson to see what they said about using e/ts on the street. They recommended against it. They said that it's street use isn't really intended to be more than to the track and back. They recommended the s/r sportsman, and said that they will be adding new sizes to the line.

I am probably just being too fussy about sizes anyway. The s/r's or Hoosiers will work, they are about $200 more a set but probably cheaper in the long run.

I have these MT's and they are about the width you want, I believe.

vbpgimage.php

lincolnuT just sold a set like those on the bay with 800 miles on them for $175 last weekend.

Ron

They are Mickey Thompson Sportman S/R. The rears are 29X15.00R15LT, and the fronts are 24X5.00R15LT. I like them and haven't had any problems with them. Some of the Mickey Thompsons have a bad reputation but the S/R series is the newer ones and are fine as far as I am concerned and I am picky about my tires.

Maybe a dumb question but I looked at the list of Hoosier Sportsman's and don't understand the size specs, for example what does something like 29X15.00R15LT and 24X15.00R15LT represent? I'm used to sizes like P185/65R15 and 275/60R15.

Track T-4 said:
Maybe a dumb question but I looked at the list of Hoosier Sportsman's and don't understand the size specs, for example what does something like 29X15.00R15LT and 24X15.00R15LT represent? I'm used to sizes like P185/65R15 and 275/60R15.

No such thing as a dumb question. But its a easy one, 29X15.00R15LT means, 29 inches tall 15 inches wide on a 15 inch rim.

And the " R " is for Radial and the " LT " is Lite Truck. The example you gave are the ones that drive me nuts - but it is " P185/65R15 " is P=Passenger 185 Millimeters ( Thread Width )/65% Aspect ratio = sidewall height is 65% of width, R = Radial, 15 inch rim. Now that I figured that out it will all change to some other system.

So Duke, if I understand you right, Your front tire is also 15 inches wide?

Oh Oh, :eek: Todd, thanks for catching that, I went back and changed it to 24X5.00R15. The wide on front would be different - a front wheel drive bucket ? NAAA - bad idea. :)
I hate it when I screw up like that. :cry:

I was hoping for a typo. The only Indy style T that looks good is one with 4 skinny tires.

Track T-4 said:

These numbers can be misleading though, the 29x15.00R15LT will be close to 29" tall but will be closer to 12" wide than 15". I can see the section width changing depending on rim width, but tread width doesn't. I have also seen tires of the same MM# with listed tread widths that vary by as much as a couple inches. Seems to me that advertised tire sizes are at best aproximations.

hi i am running mt et's on my bucket . 7oo miles on them so far and they do well even in wet weather Joe

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back