Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

To jam nut or not to jam nut this is the question.

rooster57

I have seen several comments about nuts on radius rods coming loose and other points that need Jam nuts. Do you want a double nut on your RR might look goofey. This might be a solution and its a technique the japanese have used on their machine tools for a loooooooooong time.
Drill and tap a setscrew 10/32 on oposite sides of the nut. remove the setscrews and install the nut in the position and tighten it. Then cut a piece of solid copper wire or brass brazing rod small enough to drop in the setrscrew hole. The piece should be small .020-.040 or so, the copper or brass will form to the thread when the set screw is tightened and it will not back off. If the nut is ever removed ,the threads on the, for instance clevis will not be harmed by the set screw. When the nut is off just screw the setscrew in untill the copper or brass is expelled and put a new piece in when the nut is reinstalled .
Individually we are strong
Together we r Mighty

I never had a jam nut back off and I used to check mine all the time just to be sure.

Preflight check.:rofl:

RPM said:
I don't see how a 5/8 jam nut properly tightened could back off. They should torque at what 110 ft lbs? Or maybe more. That would be like a main cap stud nut backing off.

Thank you, that was my thoughts exactly. I've built several engines and never found one that ever "backed off". Of course I'm still a young-un...:rofl:

I guess i should add that this was not a post to advocate jam nuts as much as a post on the option of a differant type of jam nut if one is needed. I am glad non of you have a "screw loose" so a jam nut is needed .

rooster57 said:
I guess i should add that this was not a post to advocate jam nuts as much as a post on the option of a differant type of jam nut if one is needed. I am glad non of you have a "screw loose" so a jam nut is needed .

In our own way, we all have a "screw loose" :lol:

You mean I was supposed to have screws.........Dang it I knew there was something wrong. Everytime I shake my head I hear things moving around:lol: So Ron do you have extra screws laying around your shop with Jam nuts.

For one thing, a rod bolt has nothing trying to twist it, like when ever the car leans, things are trying and twisting, it has to...Think about all the stress that is on all those joints when the car leans, either the axle twists, or something else GIVES, the I beam axles are much better at twisting, then is a tube axle, or a rear end housing... Just the facts man, just the facts... hehe

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back