Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Toe in?

Fourdy

I have a 24 T with 9" rear and I believe the Speedway front axle with chev spindles. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the toe in should be. I have it now set up at 1/8" toe in.

Does that sound right? What are you guys using.

Thanks in advance.

Fourdy

Some pics
http://community.webshots.com/user/fourdy

That is how mine is set, along with 7 degrees of caster. Same thing, tube axle and Chevy spindles.

It needs to be where ever it works best but that is a good starting point. Some of these cars (mine included) require non traditional settings to steer proper but 1/8" in is where I started.

Thanks to everyone. Ted, are you saying that the toe in changes on the road or do I start at 0?

Fourdy

Thanks to everyone. Ted, are you saying that the toe in changes on the road or do I start at 0?

Fourdy
Yes it changes, caused by rolling tire pressure, that is the reason for toe in, in the first place, you want a zero reading at rolling speeds... This is another reason I do not like the tie rod out front, as now it is pretty much impossible to stretch the rod, to get back to zero toe, where as things will tighten up and flex enough to allow for 1/16" toe in on a light car, to end up at the desired measurement of zero at running speeds... These are not my rules, from a great old front end man... When ever the tires are not running true, they are some what out of control and heating up, not to forget, wasting rubber life... The control factor is what I want for my car... Think about what it would be like if you had real wide tires on the front and were sliding them sideways, so to speak... :)

Toe-in also causes the wheel to load the inner wheel bearing whereas toe-out would cause more load on the outer bearing. Putting the load on the inner bearing keeps the wheel pushed up tight against the spindle making the wheels more responsive in steering and preventing any wobble during straight running. There is some preload on the wheel bearings but it is not enough to prevent some wobble if there is not a force pushing the wheel to the spindle. the dynamic forces are much higher than one imagines and even a tiny bit of wobble would be noticed on the road as a vibration or wandering.

Toe-in also causes the wheel to load the inner wheel bearing whereas toe-out would cause more load on the outer bearing. Putting the load on the inner bearing keeps the wheel pushed up tight against the spindle making the wheels more responsive in steering and preventing any wobble during straight running. There is some preload on the wheel bearings but it is not enough to prevent some wobble if there is not a force pushing the wheel to the spindle. the dynamic forces are much higher than one imagines and even a tiny bit of wobble would be noticed on the road as a vibration or wandering.

Great reply.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back