Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Top Installation

spike

Is it possible to add a top to a finished car without disturbing the upholstery?

It's possible if you know exactly where the wood is in the body. The fiberglass alone will never stand up to the stress.

Ron

I have been thinking about a top also. but i dont like the real tall ones. I want something low. I think the side supports that anchor the top will need some plate or additional support inside the body if you dont want something mounted on the side of your body to support the weight. nice lookin car Post some pics .

I just took the top off my wife's T-bucket, and it was mounted only into the fiberglass. Has been that way for 24 years, somewhere between 50,000 and 75,000 miles. It has always been fine, and when I took it off and stripped the body I could see that there was no cracking or other damage.

Jeff

I have been thinking about a top also. but i dont like the real tall ones. I want something low. I think the side supports that anchor the top will need some plate or additional support inside the body if you dont want something mounted on the side of your body to support the weight. nice lookin car Post some pics .
Thanks Rooster. I just posted photo's in the gallery.

Spike

I just took the top off my wife's T-bucket, and it was mounted only into the fiberglass. Has been that way for 24 years, somewhere between 50,000 and 75,000 miles. It has always been fine, and when I took it off and stripped the body I could see that there was no cracking or other damage.

Jeff
409T,
That's good to know. Do you have any photo's of how it is attached?

Spike

Nice car spike, old school look, me to i like it .

I went with the California style tall ... here is a picture of the frame without the material covering. It bolts directly to\thru the fiberglass which is very thick at those points.

192.jpg

I would asls be very interested in seeing any pics you have.

Ron

I went with the California style tall ... here is a picture of the frame without the material covering. It bolts directly to\thru the fiberglass which is very thick at those points.

192.jpg

gfigms,

Did you make that frame or purchase it. If you purchased, where from?

Spike

The frame is a product of CCR ... it was given to me from GT63 ... he lives just down the street from me (actual several streets, but close).

Nice lookin car gfigams same interior as mine and Jeffs 409. That top is gona be cool . But i think you need to have a mechanic look at your motor. The last one put the distrib in the wrong place. Ha Ha

Nice lookin car gfigams same interior as mine and Jeffs 409. That top is gona be cool . But i think you need to have a mechanic look at your motor. The last one put the distrib in the wrong place. Ha Ha
No that Motor is just right the way it is and the car is great to boot..................

Here are pictures of the hardware and the holes the pieces went in to mount the top frame. The holes now have body filler as we decided to do without the top this time. I have given that away, however, it looked exactly like gfigms'.

Jeff

Attachments

• 2104RE.jpg
    2104RE.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 2111RE.jpg
    2111RE.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 2116RE.jpg
    2116RE.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 148
The top (we call them roofs downunder) on my bucket is very close looking to the frame in the photo.I wish to build a fold down top as I found that when I went out on a run with the top in place,you can bet the weather would be excellent for topless cuisin and I would be stuck with a roof I couldn't foldaway etc. But I think I will have to design something like original bows using a good timber and small hinges so that the top goes back and rests on the pickup top. I have looked at most of the T Bucket sites/manufactures that you people are lucky to have,but hav'nt found anything I could use.
Whiplash

I looked all over the internet for plans for a folding top. Several rumors of plans being posted, but could never find them. I heard there was a copyright issue and the plans were pulled. I was in too big of a hurry to get a top on ... the Texas summer sun can be rough and I didn't want to "engineer" one myself.

Milt,
Would it be possible to post some measurments of your top?
Thanks

Sure, I take the measurements tomorrow and post some sort of sketch\drawing.

Don't think there will be any copyright issues ... anybody?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back