Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shifter Suggestions

spartacus

I have a T-bucket with a 350 chevy in it and 350 transmission. I need to replace the shifter in it with something. I'm looking for one with a tall shift knob if possible. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

This is mine. It's a cheapo Mr Gasket unit I bought from JC Whitney years ago. Still available through Auto Zone I believe. Works fine, but no reverse lockout (which could be a problem).

Attachments

• Shifterb.jpg
    Shifterb.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Shifter2.jpg
    Shifter2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 8
My original shifter for my TH350 before I changed to the 4 speed 200-4R was from a Mustang.

I used a bell crank to reverse the direction so it was normal for the driver. The pivot for the bell crank used a threaded boss that was already on the trans. I still have it somewhere in the garage. I suppose it might be possible to lengthen it.

DSC00032.jpg
ShfifterLinkage_00018.jpg
ShifterLinkage_C00019.jpg

I plan on putting a tall shifter in mine as well. Wanted a Lokar but can't justify the cost. Check out Genie Shifter. They have a good selection.

My original shifter for my TH350 before I changed to the 4 speed 200-4R was from a Mustang.

I used a bell crank to reverse the direction so it was normal for the driver. The pivot for the bell crank used a threaded boss that was already on the trans. I still have it somewhere in the garage. I suppose it might be possible to lengthen it.

View attachment 24943
View attachment 24944
View attachment 24945
Good old mustang/ pinto/ maverick shifters... put them in several over time. You could reverse the throws based on the transmission linkage pawl connection... ie: top or bottom connection. I used to snag GM column shift linkage parts too... very adaptable and adjustable.

Wow, so many good options out there. Thanks for all the advice. Those Genie Shifters look nice. And I like how cheap the Mr Gasket one is but not having reverse lockout isn't great for me in case I let others drive it which I do sometimes.

Do you mean you could get in reverse by mistake or engine start in reverse?
I love the Lokar brand and they have cable shifters and long arm ones too but they are all 400-500 bucks for something pretty simple. I don't know if they are worth the extra cost. I thought about a ratchet shifter as well, not long arm, but still cool. And, yes I don't want people to be able to hit reverse by mistake. Starting in reverse would also be bad but less likely to happen.

I love the Lokar brand and they have cable shifters and long arm ones too but they are all 400-500 bucks for something pretty simple. I don't know if they are worth the extra cost. I thought about a ratchet shifter as well, not long arm, but still cool. And, yes I don't want people to be able to hit reverse by mistake. Starting in reverse would also be bad but less likely to happen.
I see used cable shifters often on marketplace. It’s also swap meet season so, if you aren’t in a hurry, you should be able to find a used one for much less.

You don't say which Genie you are going to use so I don't know how much your spending. Below is the shifter I use now.

You will want to know which way the cable exits from the shifter. Most exit from the front but I want a rear exit, so I bought this B&M shifter. It has a 12.72 inch shift lever length. It also has a reverse lockout and neutral safety switch.

$260

You don't say which Genie you are going to use so I don't know how much your spending. Below is the shifter I use now.

You will want to know which way the cable exits from the shifter. Most exit from the front but I want a rear exit, so I bought this B&M shifter. It has a 12.72 inch shift lever length. It also has a reverse lockout and neutral safety switch.

$260
I think I'm going to get this one. Thanks :)

I guess you prefer the rear exit cable. They have been hard to find when I was looking.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back