Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield height

I ran a full windshield with no supports. I did have a piece of angle iron bolted to the floor that the frame connected to the frame and fiberglass packed around cavity. Put 100,000 miles on it in the 13 years I had it.

Mine is 14" with no supports. But . . . 70 MPH is as fast as I ever go.

Attachments

• Paint frt8.jpg
    Paint frt8.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 6
My windshield is 14"s tall. I have alot of support behind the dashboard. The support also attaches to the backside of the forewall & includes a steering column support. I also have a horizontal piece of angle iron that is immediately behind the dashboard & extends to the backside of the windshield posts (which are bolted to the horizontal angle iron. I also have a hardtop that also supports the windshield. I like overkill.

My windshield is 14"s tall. I have alot of support behind the dashboard. The support also attaches to the backside of the forewall & includes a steering column support. I also have a horizontal piece of angle iron that is immediately behind the dashboard & extends to the backside of the windshield posts (which are bolted to the horizontal angle iron. I also have a hardtop that also supports the windshield. I like overkill.
I too built a substructure that supports the door posts, windshield, dash, and cowl to the frame as well as steel inside of the rocker boxes that connect to the rear door posts and reinforcement across the kick up section. There are steel tabs welded to it all that are routed into the floor and all is encased in glass. The six frame to body bolts pass through them. Other than a roll bar, I doubt it could be much stronger, within reason. My intent was to strengthen the car, as both doors are functional and I thought the doors and windshield were the Aquila’s heel. Lots of effort was spent in the process that most will never see or appreciate. The doors maintaining alignment and windshield staying firmly attached is the goal.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back