Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

total performance t bucket owners

s19243h

im looking for owners of the total performance t bucket to see how you guys connected the steering colum to the steering box. did you modify it , use a coupler,and what kind or just leave it as is .any help would be greatly appreciated
glenn

I would like to know how to fix this as well. I had mine pull out while making a turn and it is not the kind of excitement I like. All it has is a little set screw to hold it on the steering box. I can't recall what kind of connection is on top of the steering box but I remember thinking it did not look like a standard splined unit. I ended up putting mine back together and loctited the setscrew in so it won't come loose again.

Post a pic guys it sounds dangerous . I am using a coupler-u-joint in mine and it isn't coming apart.

I would like to know how to fix this as well. I had mine pull out while making a turn and it is not the kind of excitement I like. All it has is a little set screw to hold it on the steering box. I can't recall what kind of connection is on top of the steering box but I remember thinking it did not look like a standard splined unit. I ended up putting mine back together and loctited the setscrew in so it won't come loose again.

It is a splined reversed corvair steering box with a roll pin through the middle and a slotted steering shaft in the colum ive herd instances were the steering shaft splits and leaves no steering not a ride i want to expirience

We rebuilt quite a few steering boxes for Total back in the day. The coupler was held on the straight shaft box with a 3/16" solid pin. never ever heard of one breaking. On the splined shaft box you just use a splined shaft coupler and a set screw to hold it in place.

We rebuilt quite a few steering boxes for Total back in the day. The coupler was held on the straight shaft box with a 3/16" solid pin. never ever heard of one breaking. On the splined shaft box you just use a splined shaft coupler and a set screw to hold it in place.

the pin dont brake the shaft going through the column with the two slots splits

I have the same setup too, I just dont like the idea of the set screws not tightening into a slot or sorta thing. Just dont seem safe

I actually got an adaptor with the same spline as the steering box (reverse corvair) and cut the shaft to adapt for the original length and made a small plug to keep them in line.

I use a borgleson coupler and it has an offset bolt that goes all the way through the side of the steering shaft. So when you install it you can drill through and it only makes a notch in the steering box shaft where the bolt passes through . This method cannot come apart. A set screw will never work to hold anything in place that has an excentric motion.

If you are using a setscrew that contacts any threads. Where tightning the setscrew can score the threads and make it hard to remove whatever you are tring to secure . Here is a tip thats older than i am. Cut a very small piece is brass brazing rod or copper wire the diameter of the setscrew. Drop it in the setscrew hole then install the setscrew. When you tighten the setscrew the brass or copper will form to the threads or splines and will form to whatever the surface is like . It will bind much better and wont harm the shaft surface.We use this on rotating masses that can spin up to 50K RPM

Thats fine use the 5/8 to doub d or whatever the steering shaft is borgleson joint and drill the notch when you get it in hand

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back