Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total Performance T buckets. Good or Bad?

Allen

Hi everybody. I have a friend of mine that was looking to buy a Total Performance Car that was finished. He doesn't know a whole lot about T buckets, so he called me. I e-mailed the owner and asked how the car handled at 75 or 80, and quickly got a negative response back from the owner saying the car had been lined up, wheels balanced, tires were perfect, and was done at a professional alignment shop. And-- asked why anybody would want to drive one of these cars that fast and that they were not made for that! My friend test drove the Roadster and said the car didn't handle very good over 60 mph. So, does anyone have any experience with this company? The car has wire wheels on the front.

Pretty sure that many here have TP cars and are happy with them. A handling problem at any reasonable speed is not determined by who provided the parts but by who put them together. If your friend wants to buy a finished Bucket suggest to him that he find one that does not have any problems.

I have gone 85+ in my Total Bucket and it was alright. The scariest part is the big trucks going by and blow you around a bit. The roads have a lot to do with these cars wandering around as well.

I have a Total Performance bucket with the wire wheels that I literally drive everyday (when it's not raining). And although it is not something I would recommend for this kind of car I have had it to 100+ a couple of times without problem. But I also had the wire wheels not only balanced but trued up as well when I bought the car.

If the car does not handle at speeds over 55 there is a problem with the suspension and/or steering or tires... I would say, as I have driven mine well over 125, only problem is windshield glass wanting to cave in, so I keep it down anymore... or take the top half of the windshield off to go speed driving... :)

I have driven my bucket at 132mph (have a timeslip to prove it) and wouldnt even try to go that fast if it hadnt handled at 60mph, then 70, then 100...

A buggy sprung car with skinny front wires, and large rear rubber will NOT handle like a late model Lincoln. It will probably handle like a T bucket.

So maybe if you can take your mate out for a ride in your bucket, he can experience what "normal" feels like. My previous bucket handled like a pig, (compared to my current one), but when I had a ride in a mates 32 roadster that he said handled great, the ride was pretty similar to that bucket.

Down here, from memory, our "Hobby Car Technical Manual" requires 5 inches of front rim to get legal. So I dont think we can legally run the motorbike type skinny wires anymore.

I have driven my bucket at 132mph (have a timeslip to prove it) and wouldnt even try to go that fast if it hadnt handled at 60mph, then 70, then 100...

A buggy sprung car with skinny front wires, and large rear rubber will NOT handle like a late model Lincoln. It will probably handle like a T bucket.

So maybe if you can take your mate out for a ride in your bucket, he can experience what "normal" feels like. My previous bucket handled like a pig, (compared to my current one), but when I had a ride in a mates 32 roadster that he said handled great, the ride was pretty similar to that bucket.

Down here, from memory, our "Hobby Car Technical Manual" requires 5 inches of front rim to get legal. So I dont think we can legally run the motorbike type skinny wires anymore.

Bought my newly built TP T 2 years ago and handling was terrible. Original builder put 7/16 bolt where 1/2 inch bolt should go in steering arm. Problem solved. Now it handles like a large go-cart. Excellent fun. Get both front wheels off the ground and check for play.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back