Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Traditional versus Cross steering

I had cross steering in my Speedway T. They claimed it was better because it would eliminate bump steer. I don't know if it did or not as I have never driven a T with the Corvair box so I have nothing to compare it to. I had very little bump steer though and I could get on the interstate and cruise at 75 with just a loose grip on the wheel (or no grip at all) and the car would track straight as an arrow.

Correctly done, I don't think either one is better. I have traditional "side delivery" steering on mine and it drives just as well as der Spieler described his cross steer setup.

Get the geometry wrong on both types and they will be all over the road.

Mike

if you google google books and search for hot rods, street rods chassis building etc and check out some of coddington's books, some of the books have limited previews. some have the entire book on line to preview. before you buy. one of coddington's books has a good chapter on suspension- steering I don't remember which.

All things being equal, I don't think one is better than the other, just a matter of preference. I've seen both types handle great or horribly, depending on how they were engineered. I think the traditional style requires a few less parts such as a mandatory panhard bar on the cross steered ones, but that is about it.

Don

is a panhard bar required with a hair pin style suspension or just a 4 bar?

A panard bar is required with a cross steer set up no matter if you have hairpins or a four bar.

Jim

Dug up, to see if there is anyone one else that would like to give a point of view.

I had cross steer and no panhard bar on a '32 coupe and never noticed a problem. I'm not sure a short panhard bar wouldn't create problems, so if you have one, make it as long as possible.

I'm running cross steer (Flaming River Vega box) with a panhard on my 27. Also using coilovers, and hairpins. There is little to no noticeable bumpsteer. I've never driven a traditional side steer car, but I imagine that if it is set up right it works pretty good too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back