Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tranny pan leaking

Johnny

Going to change my transmission pan gasket. Leaking. Anyone have good recommendation on the best gasket to use. Turbo 350. I'm leaning toward Moroso's rubber, steel gasket. I know over tightening the bolts is BAD. torque specs?

Thanks

Clean it good ...1/8" bead of silicone... make sure to go around the bolt holes... torque to spec...... done ,no leaks !!!
dave

I have a cast aluminum th350 pan and couldn't get it to seal well. I put on the Moroso blue silicone/metal molded tranny pan gasket. A little expensive but worth it. Been over a year and to this day it is dry as a bone. Couldn't be happier!

You may want to check the pan before re-install. Have a look at the bolt holes. Many times the pan is puckered a bit around the holes where the bolts try to pull through the thin steel pan. Gently go around with a small hammer and tap it all flat on a steel bench, and yes a light smear of silicon on both sides of the gasket, pull it up and let it sit an hour or so before filling. Should be good!

I just had the same problem and found no gasket and cheap chrome pan had warped. The Moroso gasket is a great purchase. I coupled it with Summit's polished aluminium pan and my problem went away. I looked up torque specs and some website said 100 inch lbs. I tightened until they were tight and they a tiny nudge more. If you go with the new gasket just watch the bolt sizes, the new gasket is 1/4 inch thick. Good luck

If you have a chrome pan, you can take some sandpaper and rough up the gasket surface on the pan. The chrome sometimes makes it hard for the gasket to seal. Works on valve covers and rear end covers too. As others have said, the pan rails have to be pretty much dead flat.

We're gonna have to get one of those Moroso pans... ours is leaking something terrible already and its only made it around the block a few times. I'm, sure the rebuilder used the cheapest POS gasket on the market!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back