Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

INSTALLING AN OIL PAN OR TRANSMISSION PAN

PotvinGuy

Staff member
If you have a lift or a friend or both, installing an oil pan or transmission pan can be a simple business. But for those of us who do it on our own, on our back under the car, it can be a frustrating, even painful, job. Here’s a procedure that will make it easier.

Start with an exceptional gasket. A cheap cork gasket can certainly work, but it is fragile and limp, two things I don’t like when I’m bent like a pretzel, working in cramped quarters and have a limited view. I use a Moroso Perm-Align gasket made of silicone bonded to a rigid steel frame. Other folks make similar gaskets. These units will outlast your pan, your engine or tranny, and probably you, too. Tie the gasket to the pan in 3 or 4 places with string:

P1020414.JPG
P1020419.JPG

Then install 2 studs (bolts with the heads cut off) into the engine or tranny:
P1020422.JPG

Guide the pan onto the studs and hand install the pan bolts, removing the string and the studs as you go. Tighten the bolts. Note that sealant or cement is not needed. Remember to add and check fluid and you are ready to go cruise.

Very simple and clean. I could have used this post yesterday when I was trying to reinstall the trans pan.

On the oil pan, the Felpro single piece blue gasket comes with little installer studs that make installing the pan/gasket a snap.

I used to use a copper spray when I built engines. I worked great, it is almost a contact cement glue (made for engines), you spray on the gasket and matting surface and it held the gasket in place beautifully.

Clever AND simple.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back