Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tube axle IFS?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Anyone tried a tube axle IFS, like Fat Man's? I'm gonna do it, and any experiences, warnings, advice, pics, etc would be most welcome.

standard t bucket style front axle, but split in the middle for some bushings and frame mounts and such

id post a pic, but the fatmans website is borderline on useless. someone should smack whoever it was that decided NOT to put decent sized pics on their website.

0504sr_vintage_02_z.jpg
Here is a pic Looks pretty cool

Anyone tried a tube axle IFS, like Fat Man's? I'm gonna do it, and any experiences, warnings, advice, pics, etc would be most welcome.
Have not seen it done with a spring behind setup yet. Don't know if it could be donethat way, or just extend the frame and do it like a A-Model or Deuce.

Not the correct way to mount the springs or shocks onto a piece that will be tilting both ways, against the bolts and coil-over bodies, won't be too long as to failure of those parts, plus I really dislike a wheel leaning in and out over every dip in the highway, and to trust Heim ends in that position, not me :( PS, if done, make sure the tie rods will be the exact same (length and travel) as the axle.. other wise you have another bad moving part... Where O where are all the great old T Buckets going????? If I want IRS, late model look and chassis is where I am going... Sorry, just me here... :)

Basically the same travel as twin I beam only less travel that ford has used for years.

... Where O where are all the great old T Buckets going????? If I want IRS, late model look and chassis is where I am going... Sorry, just me here... :)

Man....... you get cranky when you travel. don't you Ted. :) . you must have driven all night if you're home already!!

Wile I do understand "traditional" thinking..... hot rodding is all about trying new things and being an independant thinker, not about "doing things the way they've been done for years"...................... IMHO.
So how does the twin I beem setup handle T-Odd?? any bump steer issues?

Russ

The problem with a 2 bar IFS is that the constant changing camber will wear itres out quickly and it also causes steering and handling problem. The end of you axle is traveling in an arc with a 2 bar system where as in a 4bar it travels up and down causing no change in camber.

If your still set on trying this, mount the ends of the axle to the oposite frame rail, as per the Ford pickup. The more length you have on the axles the less change there will be in your camber. You aslo want your springing to be in a vertical plain.

There was an independent type set up used by Willy's on the pickups that used a cross spring as the upper arms mounted to the spindles with a lower control arm also to the spindles that worked quite well. It's just a little too much for the front od a T though.

IMO, the 2 bar IFS would be a crowd pleaser for a trailer Queen.

Ron

That is nice!! Simple and neat. Does have R/P steering to boot!! Was this car in Lenoir last year? Can't remember,case of CRS***
Thanks T-Odd for the picture & references. How you holding up? I can see putting in good bushings at the ends (in the center) and running a leaf spring behind the axle assembly. I think keeping the steering arms, rack and pinion assembly, and radius rod mount point all on the same plane would be the challenge. Also to make it cosmetically appealing. WHY did they run heim joint ends on the axles? That orange car seems to have pulled it off.
If George Barnes or Ron Pope were to give it some thought, I'm sure something pleasing could be put down on paper (or cad/cam).
John

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

The problem with this set up would be the 4-bar. At full travel the bars and mounts would be in a sever bind. There was a '33 coupe here that had this set up on it for one season . The next year he was back to a one piece axle.

Ron

Thanks T-Odd for the picture & references. How you holding up? I can see putting in good bushings at the ends (in the center) and running a leaf spring behind the axle assembly. I think keeping the steering arms, rack and pinion assembly, and radius rod mount point all on the same plane would be the challenge. Also to make it cosmetically appealing. WHY did they run heim joint ends on the axles? That orange car seems to have pulled it off.
If George Barnes or Ron Pope were to give it some thought, I'm sure something pleasing could be put down on paper (or cad/cam).
John
Darn that edit function. I was going to say that if you double the suspension travel (from 2 to 4 inches) wouldn't that be an improvement in ride and handling? I'm not talking about 8 inches of travel like a truck would need.

John

This type of front end is basically what got the Corvair in trouble. It was the rear suspension on the Corvair got Ralph Naders panties in a wad. It is a swing axle type of configuration. The problem came in hard cornering. The tire contact on the ground and the axle pivot point that was higher led to the point that it could have a tendency to act as a lever and jack the car over on that side. I know that isn't a very good explanation. The Fatman version does have one advantage over the Corvair, the inner pivot point is closer to the center of the car and closer to the ground. That lowers the angle of attack of the jacking effect. The camber change problem is still a definite minus.

Here is a little food for thought:

IFSGreen.jpg

Where O where are all the great old T Buckets going????? If I want IRS, late model look and chassis is where I am going... Sorry, just me here... :)

Same here Ted. While i think a Corvette or Jag rear end looks cool in a T-Bucket, especially if you're following one that's all chromed out, an IFS on an open wheeled car...well not so much.

I used to own a '78 ford van (i bought it new) and i hated Ford's stupid Twin-I-Beam junk. Very few people knew how to align the front end. I finally found an old school guy that knew what he was doing. I can't see that T-Bucket set up being much different.

It is true I remember doing alignment on the ford trucks and vans Is was a combination of the camber changing on the swing.Thy also had a problem keeping the toe correct as one axle would travel this changed the toe angle.Causing tire wear.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back