Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turtle decks

You can put a fordson tractor grill on there if you want; its your T.

The Track T I posted (Duffy Livingstones Eliminator) was built in the early 50s and had a flathead at first, followed by a 265 with a BIG overbore. The nose on his car is sort of a riff on a Curtiss style nose (as seen in speedway catalogs). Here in syracuse, most of the vintage dirt cars have the tapered "bullet" look of the one that GAB posted. However, this is NOT an absolute, although all the ones Ive seen with stock style noses were very tall speedsters, instead of the low slung track T style

Can anyone else shed some light here? I have some pics of an old, unrestored speedster from 1919 or so; I just have to find em.

Nate

Track roadsters came in a lot of sizes and shapes. This Bob McCoy painting shows some of the varieties.

DSCN1108.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, The print is too big to scan...just took a photo of it.

Thanks Ted, a compliment like that from you means a lot to me. Thank you.

JJ Thats awesome.

How would you guys like to muscle this bad ass around a track?
amc081.jpg

As much as Id love to have that (Im a history nut) I'd be happy with this
~Nate
1King_T.gif

rooster57 said:
CCR has a new turtle deck for their bodies. Its cool when i first saw it i wanted one. But there is something about the dimensions that has changed my mind.What do u think
I am afraid I will have to agree with you, maybe it is because it totally ruins the rack LOOK of these type cars, early Rides had straighter lines maybe thats it? Just a bit too modern of a look??? almost bent in the middle?? hard to really put your finger on it, don't want to bad mouth it... Like I always say, there is an ass for every seat...

EX JUNK said:
Thanks Ted, a compliment like that from you means a lot to me. Thank you.
You are MORE than Welcome, as great craftsmen are hard to find, I know, I went through a lot of great guys, trying to find one, now and then.. hehe and I am Sorry if I said something negative about your front end panard bar.. if the axle does not move that much. it will be OK.. Like you were thinking, better safe than Sorry. PS; Your Roadster is clean to the extreem, very nice...

I've got 2 'glass bucket bodies, 1 with a p/u bed, and 1 without anything, would like to have a turtle deck for the one without,...anyone have one sitting around you're not going to use?

I found this pic somewhere.
tdeck1s.jpg

I'm considering this for the back of my spirit t body. those are the hubcaps I'm going to use also (anybody got two more?):neutral:
Of course most days it's a long box pickup or a bobtail.:lol:
Mike in ep

I believe our turtle decks of today are an acurate lenngth, but those usual back ends are a very shortened bed of the original ones. I saw a real one in an old rod & custom magazine I recently purchased & I. d like to see a bucket with the original length pick up bed. When I was young I only ever saw the turtle deck style. I am building my bucket with a turtle deck but definately not with a track nose. I'm going for a full custom creation, yes pictures in the spring when we can start construction of the building so we can finish the T. Some details? lincoln grill cad 500 motor turbo 400, posi rear end from a rare caddy, grant steering wheel chysler i96o dash, up here we we require fenders, roof lindberg karson, chassis is out of the sixties, body is a dragster style & we've found a few real t,s for a good price. Oh come on spring time please don't be a turtle just come back after winter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back