Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Two different approaches to building a T sedan...

EX JUNK

Two VERY nice, well built T sedans but VERY different.
IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Jim

i took lots of pictures of that black one. I liked the red one but it has fenders.

Yes, the black one is really cool, Ron. I don't know if you got to talk to him or not but he is from Tampa.

Jim

Red for me. Its sweet as a nut.
Gerry

The red one is a '26 or '27 amd sweet as it can be. The black one is made up of an early truck cowl/windshield, the doors are some where in the '19 to '27 range and I suspect the rear quarters are hand made. Someones put a lot of time in that body.

Ron

The red one for me too, but why is that they all get built with what we Brits call, the "Carlos Fandango" look. For the uninitiated, it means the tyres (& in some case, wheels as well) stick out proud of the fenders! Tuck them in guys, tuck them in!!!

Carlos Fandango, the phrase was coined after a Hamlet cigar advert waaay back when, which featured a Ford Anglia 105E fitted with extremely wide wheels & tyres that stuck way out beyond the fenders & the driver character was called, Carlos Fandango. In the ad, he tried to drive through a gate but of course the car wouldn't fit because of the tyres & it crashed. As consolation, he lit a Hamlet cigar!

I am with you on the fenders, got to keep the tires under the fender, or may as well go without, all together... Both cars have great looks on their own...

im a majority of one then. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think theres something special about 70s style hot rods with the tires sticking out past the guards. Actually, its why I bought my T coupe, (theres pikkys in the gallery from memory,) but out past the guards is actually illegal down here, so I took off the guards as I cant stand widened guards as most look like a landing area on an aircraft carrier IMO, and I dont like thin wheels on hot rods, so I wouldnt run the guards stock.

But I mocked the guards back up on at the weekend with the chromies & whitewalls & it wont be too long before I get them widened 3 inches and run them again.

Car looks pure 60s cool

That red sedan does it for me too.

I like the red one best as is,but would of liked the black one if it had shiny paint vs lazy-butt flat or what every color ya call that ,and a shorter wheelbase with some shocks up front so it could drive well. But that just my take. A sedan with out a usible back seat seems a wast to me.

I like the red one best as is,but would of liked the black one if it had shiny paint vs lazy-butt flat or what every color ya call that ,and a shorter wheelbase with some shocks up front so it could drive well. But that just my take. A sedan with out a usible back seat seems a wast to me.
If you look closely at the right front, you will see a friction shock just behind the head light. Granted it is not in the usual placement but he does have shocks just the same. How well they work is another question.

Jim

yep I see them.
Kinda different and as you say how effective are they.
But it does open up the question (copyright just here) could you put some kind of damper on the end of the radius rod, that is at the chassis mounting point. OK so there would be a small movement but with some clever engineering with levers or a really STIFF set up it might work. I can see a lever from the pivot of the RR to a damper set up along the chassis and pointing backwards along the chassis. Now that would be a challenge and pretty neat. new stuff is so very cool. (bet someone somewhere has thought of this before)

I just love a new way to do things.

Any suggestions guys?
gerry

yep I see them.
But it does open up the question (copyright just here) could you put some kind of damper on the end of the radius rod, that is at the chassis mounting point. OK so there would be a small movement but with some clever engineering with levers or a really STIFF set up it might work. I can see a lever from the pivot of the RR to a damper set up along the chassis and pointing backwards along the chassis. Now that would be a challenge and pretty neat. new stuff is so very cool. (bet someone somewhere has thought of this before)

Any suggestions guys?
gerry
Are you thinking something in the way of torsion bars with the lever that goes to the radius rod?

yep I see them.

Any suggestions guys?
gerry
With how long a bone is,they would need to be super duopper strong to not brake even if there was some type of shocking strongenough near the "WRONG END",being dif just to be dif is not good. There is interesting and then there is just bad design.
Friction shocks don't work well any way and placing them far from were shock is needed is to make them as good as ZERO

Are you thinking something in the way of torsion bars with the lever that goes to the radius rod?

Nope. Take the end of the RR and run thro the chassis on a pivot, Then drop a lever off that and fix to a Hydraulic damper pointing to the back. Yep the RR would have to be strong. Its a though not a design.
gerry

being dif just to be dif is not good.

Now THAT is certainly a matter of opinion. Good safe design practices, yes, but no to different? Can't buy that one. Different is what makes the world go 'round. If you want all Tbuckets to be exactly the same, we may as well have the Chinese built them for $500.

JMHO,

CB

Now THAT is certainly a matter of opinion. Good safe design practices, yes, but no to different? Can't buy that one. Different is what makes the world go 'round. If you want all Tbuckets to be exactly the same, we may as well have the Chinese built them for $500.

JMHO,

CB
Interesting that you had no idea what I was talking about,my falt,guess I should of been clearer,by saying poor engineered dif is bad

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back