Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ugly Truckling Shake Down

Last Friday I headed home from work with the dealer plate, The wife and I gave the car a very quick and dirty red primer paint job (So everything would be the same color and the car would look more finished) I took car of a few loose wires and checked all the fluids, slapped on the plate, backed out of the shed and headed for the back roads.

At first I drove very slowly as I had two self-proclaimed experts tell me my friction shocks would not work, and that my tie rod out front would cause the front end to wobble. 20, 30, 35, 45, 50... no wobble at all. Tried a few panic stops, it was solid and predicable. So I headed onto the highway, still waiting for the wobble. :) And it never showed up, and lets just say it was tested to speed that may have been excess of the posted speed limit. I even tried driving it a section of milled pavement, Still solid and predicable.

Not to say there were no problems, there were a few. The battery went dead because some stooge screwed up the wiring. :) Found a few small leaks, the horn and the four ways stopped working and the fuel pump screen plugged up, the starter needs a heat shield. And it needs a lot of fine tuning.

The car handles well (For what it is) is ok to drive on longer rides. But even with the problems it's a hell of a lot of fun Over the weekend we put about 400 miles on it.

Congratulations on the virgin ride. NO pics of the mile long smile.

Last Friday I headed home from work with the dealer plate, The wife and I gave the car a very quick and dirty red primer paint job (So everything would be the same color and the car would look more finished) I took car of a few loose wires and checked all the fluids, slapped on the plate, backed out of the shed and headed for the back roads.

At first I drove very slowly as I had two self-proclaimed experts tell me my friction shocks would not work, and that my tie rod out front would cause the front end to wobble. 20, 30, 35, 45, 50... no wobble at all. Tried a few panic stops, it was solid and predicable. So I headed onto the highway, still waiting for the wobble. :) And it never showed up, and lets just say it was tested to speed that may have been excess of the posted speed limit. I even tried driving it a section of milled pavement, Still solid and predicable.

Not to say there were no problems, there were a few. The battery went dead because some stooge screwed up the wiring. :) Found a few small leaks, the horn and the four ways stopped working and the fuel pump screen plugged up, the starter needs a heat shield. And it needs a lot of fine tuning.

The car handles well (For what it is) is ok to drive on longer rides. But even with the problems it's a hell of a lot of fun Over the weekend we put about 400 miles on it.
Congrats. Now what we need are front, rear, side shots and detail photos. And some driving around videos. And a couple of man on the street reactions. We don't ask for much.

John

When my Grandfather was just a boy, he and his father built a T into a truck to use on the farm, and I built mine to resemble a photo I found of it. The front end came around because my state requires a full hood top, and at least screaning on the side, The rest of it just happened...

I may build a wrecker hook that will fit in the bed.

The engine was taken from a 1986 f-150 5.0 with a C-4 the rear is from 96 explorer limited slip 3:88 with disk brakes front and rear. I havent had it on the scales yet

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back