Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unconventional Shifter Position

I tried it there, even with the bulky base off and it's still in the way.
That's surprising, it doesn't look like it's in the way in the pic you posted. Are you sure you'll actually be hitting it when you're driving the car? Can you move the gas pedal even an inch to the left? I really like the way it looks with the plastic base removed. All you need is an aluminum trim ring around the boot, and you've got a first-class shifter!

Jack

That's surprising, it doesn't look like it's in the way in the pic you posted. Are you sure you'll actually be hitting it when you're driving the car? Can you move the gas pedal even an inch to the left? I really like the way it looks with the plastic base removed. All you need is an aluminum trim ring around the boot, and you've got a first-class shifter!

Jack
It's not in the way in the location I posted. That's where it will work for me. I was saying it would be if it were in the middle, more toward the front of the car like Jim has it. The boot won't reach all the way to the floor so I will have to make a small base for it.

Hey Jim,
love the 8 ball shifter knob, did you buy it or drill it yourself?
I drilled a hole in a 8ball with the bridgeport and a carbide emill, the fun part was tapping it....use a 3 flute tap when you try it. The 4 flutes try and chip, and 2 flutes take too much pressure....
Those 8balls are harder than hammered cat crap....

DSCN2175.JPG
My shifter is not in the normal place either but I really like the "flat floor"......All I need to do is put it in drive and mash the gas so out of the way is better for me................................

Mike

DSCN2174.JPG Not the best photo but it works really good.................. I did all the machine work.....

Hey bobs;

I was going to suggest alongside the body edge, but Mike beat me to it. Another possibility would be between the buckets, but laid forward, so's to be parallel w/the floor, w/the knob sticking out just a bit below & in front of, the bucket seat edges, & the action of the shifter would be up/down (perpendicular to the floor), giving a fairly natural action/reaction. The Cobra had something akin to this effect (which is where I got the idea from), using a reversed mustang shifter, so the action was sorta up[rear] & down[forward], instead of the usual way. Once someone tried it, it was very natural feeling.

I was hoping you wouldn't leave the shifter in front of the drivers' seat, 'cause if you Armor-All'd them & then hit the brakes, you'd be chirping in hi-C real quick-like.

Marcus...

I was hoping you wouldn't leave the shifter in front of the drivers' seat, 'cause if you Armor-All'd them & then hit the brakes, you'd be chirping in hi-C real quick-like.

Marcus...
:eek: Ha ha, ouch! I thought about that, lol. I'd be cinching the seat belt REAL tight before putting it in gear! No need though. It's real comfortable and out of the way where I have it now. :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back