Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Update on T bucket handling issues.

donsrods

I mentioned recently that my Son's T bucket wasn't handling the way it should or the way almost every other car we have done has handled. We simply built it too fast (88 days) and overlooked some things. It wandered a bit, and would death wobble sometimes when he got on it hard.

Long story shot..........we fixed lots of things on it. Wheelbase was off 9/16 of an inch side to side. Toe in was 3/16 instead of 1/6. Caster was too great at about 9-10 degrees. One wheel was bent right out of the box, Coker sent a new one. Steering box (Flaming River) had way too much play in it. Tires were out of balance (no more Tire Kingdom balance jobs for us:sad:) had them redone on an expensive machine and they are now perfect.

But the biggest problem was the front brakes. We had an all chromed GM intermediate set on the car and TP told us we wouldn't like them.........they were right. We put new forged spindles on it and a set of Wilwood disc brakes, and they are so much lighter.....less rotating mass.

We got to test drive the car tonight and it is a totally different car. Goes straight down the road, and he nailed it hard a couple of times and no more death wobble. He can now one hand it and doesn't need to keep correcting to keep it straight.

However, his brand new TCI Streetfighter tranny crapped out on the way home and I had to tow him back to the shop. I am gonna call them tomorrow and see what they suggest. He isn't real happy right now, but at least the handling issues seem to be corrected, and that is a big deal safety-wise.

Don

I'm glad you got a lot of the issues worked out, Don. TCI is a good company and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm sure they'll make things right for you guys. Tell your son not to get dicouraged. Sometimes you gotta fight with things to make 'em right, but the payoff will be worth it. In this case, a trouble free car for the warm days ahead.:D

Just got off the phone with TCI, very helpful guy I spoke with. He seemed to know exactly what happened from my description. He says either the splines on the input shaft or torque converter have rounded out. I told him we have maybe 100 miles on the car, and he said no problem, send it back and they will fix it.

That's the good news............bad news is we have to pull half the car apart to get the engine and tranny out. :sad: Oh well, at least the car now runs straight down the road, it towed fine behind my car on the way home. :D:lol:

Don

Around 1974 or so a guy came in my shop with a rod he wish me to add a 4speed[was a 3speed] but did not want me to pull the motor ect.,but it had a welded in tran crossmember,so at that time I cut too each side of trans cross member and made it into a bolt in type,had to be mod any way for new tran . Point was,you could pull tran from under if you wish and just mod the cross maybe in less time.??;)

Good thought, but the way we did the crossmember with the brake master cylinder tied to it, plus with no room under there, it will probably just be easier to jerk the motor and tranny as a unit.

We always debate when we build a car if we should make the crossmember unbolt, but for some reason decide it is just as easy to take them out together. My T would really be a problem..........the body would have to come off to get the engine and transmission out due to the lowness and tight confines of everything. I am not looking forward to ever having to do that little job. :eek:

Don

Glad you got all the bugs worked out, in the handling dept. Pulling the motor and trans together is the same way I'd have to do mine. To me that is still preferable to laying on my back.:D

Yeah....I like working about 35" off the ground. Sure beats crawling over to the welding table to pull myself up to my feet.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back