Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

UPHOLSTERY-MORE FINISHED

Looks very nice

Looks great, I have one suggestion on the seat bottom.

Sit on that seat as it is, see if you sit on the webbing or the wood. I did the same thing and had to enlarge the hole. I left 2.5 inches around the edge of the wood. If that is 3/4 inch plywood that is plenty.

Last edited:
Here is my original seat:
20%20April%202011%20006.JPG_595.jpg

Here is once it was enlarged:

22%20April%202011%20001.JPG_595.jpg

This change was recommended by an upholstery shop, and turned out to be great advice.

Wow, that's really nice work!!!

How did you get this good at upholstery?

Well in 1966 I needed a job . Saw a ad in local news paper for a auto trimmer , went an applied. As I was being interviewed by the shop owner, a older man came from the rear of the shop told the owner that I had worked with him in a shop in Burbank,Ca. Hell I had never been to Burbank. That was the first day an how I met my mentor. I put a headliner in a 54 Chevy Bel Air that Day. As the work day came to a close I ask the trimmer why he did what he did . He said I was there at 8:00 drove a hot rod (my 34 Ford pickup still have it) an the owner didnt know shit about upholstery. I worked with Don for about 4 years at the shop, at his home, at the bar, forgot to say he was a older vet with a lot on his mind from WW2. He said some day they wont do the interor of a car that takes skill, just a bunch of plastic, an wanted to pass his skills on to some one. So as years go by I opened my own shop built T bucket kits went Bonneville racing(record in AA/BFCALT class 2006 192.29) teaching adults auto body paint/ upholstery in a jail setting . since 1996 . having two great men as mentors in my life my dad a hard worker, welder body man, thinker, an racer(raced at the first fuel/ gas championships Formoso 1959) an Don the trimmer that put me on a road to a vocational job that I have enjoyed for many years.Both of them became good friends an both passed away in 2008 an now my job is to pass these skills on to some of our young men.

When I build a seat bottom I use 2" rebonded foam looks like small pieces bonded together. 1" med firm topper pad 1" soft topper pad. This gives a nice seat firmness for the seat. good for long bucket rides

Well in 1966 I needed a job . Saw a ad in local news paper for a auto trimmer , went an applied. As I was being interviewed by the shop owner, a older man came from the rear of the shop told the owner that I had worked with him in a shop in Burbank,Ca. Hell I had never been to Burbank. That was the first day an how I met my mentor. I put a headliner in a 54 Chevy Bel Air that Day. As the work day came to a close I ask the trimmer why he did what he did . He said I was there at 8:00 drove a hot rod (my 34 Ford pickup still have it) an the owner didnt know shit about upholstery. I worked with Don for about 4 years at the shop, at his home, at the bar, forgot to say he was a older vet with a lot on his mind from WW2. He said some day they wont do the interor of a car that takes skill, just a bunch of plastic, an wanted to pass his skills on to some one. So as years go by I opened my own shop built T bucket kits went Bonneville racing(record in AA/BFCALT class 2006 192.29) teaching adults auto body paint/ upholstery in a jail setting . since 1996 . having two great men as mentors in my life my dad a hard worker, welder body man, thinker, an racer(raced at the first fuel/ gas championships Formoso 1959) an Don the trimmer that put me on a road to a vocational job that I have enjoyed for many years.Both of them became good friends an both passed away in 2008 an now my job is to pass these skills on to some of our young men.
What a great story!

I would like to here more about Bonneville and what it took to prepare for the event, maybe in a new thread. Or if you don't have time maybe a pic or two of the car would help feed my hunger pain.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back