Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Vacuum Pump for Brake Booster

I wonder what my brothers are doing to solve the lack of manifold vacuum problem when running a decent amount of camshaft and a brake booster.
I have always used a vacuum tank and tolerated the dead brake pedal syndrome in traffic. No more.
A friend has used an alternator off a diesel with the vacuum pump on the rear, but its an ugly brute.
The Ford diesel trucks, for one, have an electric pump, I have a mind to use one. I am sure this has been done before.

Anyone to share experiences thereof????

A bit more complicated than hooking up 2 wires, but another option is the hydra boost. It is made up of a pump, usually doing double duty with power steering and a master cylinder booster fed off the hydraulic pressure. Mustangs have had them off and on since 1999.
If you go with the vacuum pump, post your impressions. I have a few drivers that could use improvement. I am already running a second reservoir.

What they said....
Most everyone that can will run a reserviore and yes, a pump. There are straight electric pumps you can buy, looks like small fuelpump, you can plumb into whatever you need Alot of folks over at the HAMB run them as well as here. Not complicated or hard to do....
The Chevy 6.2 diesels have a pump that is installed where the distr. was, since its motor was based on a V8 block. Doesn't look 2 bad....you could mount a flying magnet type ign. up on front of your motor then. Or just hid the electric pump and plumbing, is what I would do....

Last edited:
The electric pump stowed outa sight appeals. So how do we plumb the vacuum part. Do we involve the inlet manifold, (Victor in my case) or skip that altogether and just use a pump, low vacuum idiot light and a reservoir?
That route seems better, the manifold isn't going to contribute much and it will involve a non return valve in the vacuum line from the manifold if I do it like that.

You probably already have a check valve in the line from the intake source. If you can plumb into the original booster with another grommet, check valve and line to the pump, that will work. Or you can plumb into the add on reservoir from the pump. The reservoir should have a check valve already in it. Keep it simple.

What RR said, just a reservoir, check valve and pump is really all you need for power brakes or whatever....theres more complicated ways to do it, like having a sensor system to simulate your regular vacuum for cars.
You can make it as expensive and as complicated as you want....but go with simple, takes up alot less room....
In a T, you need all the room you can get....

Yep, that's what I'll do. Just e-bay'ed me a Ford pump with vacuum switch in, got a 2kg BCF fire extinguisher that will make a dandy tank, and it comes with a ready made mounting bracket as well. Whooopeeee !

Yep, that's what I'll do. Just e-bay'ed me a Ford pump with vacuum switch in, got a 2kg BCF fire extinguisher that will make a dandy tank, and it comes with a ready made mounting bracket as well. Whooopeeee !
:thumbsup:

I have one of the jegs vacuum pumps for my T same one pictured about by Bentbaggerlen. Not sure where to mount it. Any Idea's?

Room under dash? How about inside of frame rail? Or Trunk/Turtleback area? Just be careful when running rubber line. Pull enough vacuum and the line will collapse....run mostly hardline, then connect with braided rubber....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back