Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Valve cover breathers and a few random questions

LarryH

Would a PCV valve and a breather on the oil filler tube in the intake manifold be sufficient enough to let a 350 Chevy breath? I hate valve cover breathers and i don't want to run them if i can get by without it. Could i plumb the PCV valve into the intake manifold?

Does it make any difference in the accuracy of the temp gauge if it's in the intake manifold or the block?

Is there some type of adapter that bolts to the block for the oil filter to spin onto?

Would a PCV valve and a breather on the oil filler tube in the intake manifold be sufficient enough to let a 350 Chevy breath? I hate valve cover breathers and i don't want to run them if i can get by without it. Could i plumb the PCV valve into the intake manifold?

Does it make any difference in the accuracy of the temp gauge if it's in the intake manifold or the block?

Is there some type of adapter that bolts to the block for the oil filter to spin onto?

I'm in the same situation as you with the PCV, I'm told using one with the oil filler tube breather is not a good idea, my motor is currently out to be painted and I'm thinking of drilling a 3/8"or similar hole through the block at the rear of the motor on your passengers side about 3/4" down from where the intake manifold sits tapping a thread then using a right angle fitting with a short length of tubing soldered in so that when it is threaded into the hole from inside the valley of the motor the tubing points down, then on the outside a similar arrangement with a pcv attached, that way there should be the right amount of circulation...I am lucky as I have plenty of room to the firewall, I'd be interested to hear what others think.....Phantom

Hi
It is my opinion that a PCV system is a must to keep the sludge inside the engine to a minimum
The proper way to route it is valve on one valve cover and breather on the other --
this way you have fresh air coming in one side and flowing through the engine and going out the other side.
There are some real nice looking breather caps available for these engines.
I have an oil filler/breather cap on mine and a PCV valve on the other side.

As far as an adapter for the oil filter just check with SUMMIT RACING they have several to choose from
OR
Check with your local chevy dealer they have them also

As far as the water temp gauge in the head or the intake manifold
I personally don't think it matters -- on my current engine I have it in the Intake manifold
on my last engine it was in the left cylinder head

30ixqa0.jpg

Here is an oil filter adapter pic.
8093952301.jpg

Here is the link to themMy link

This one has a built in bypass valve in case filter gets plugged so oil is still flowing.
Look them up by your engine year.
I also recommend PCV in one valve cover and breather in other one.,

I have the filler tube and put the PCV under the ignition coil.

beckypvc001.jpg

IMG_0113-21.jpg

Somewhere on this forum there are pics of Dusty Trails setup. as I remember it was neeto.

These engines need to breath real good, as there is plenty of air moving around inside with all the movement and leaking pressure from the cyls into the pan area, so I use the fuel pump plate to weld another, tall with baffles and a cap breather... Needs the baffles in the tube, so in case you make a hard turn to the left and gas it right after, you will spray oil all over the place.. hehe not fun to clean up... I learned the hard way about breathers, and I did not want a big vacuum leak with the PVC valve... Just me here. ride safe :thumb:

I like that idea Ted.

Ron

PCV systems were added to cars in 69-72 along with air pumps to comply with new (at that time) emissions laws.

Crank case pressure builds up because cylinder pressure blows by the rings and valve guides on the exhaust side and has nowhere to go. Pre 70s cars had vents at oil filler points and sometimes long tubes that ran down under cars. Venting is important because without it, the seals will fail and you will have a leaking mess. One reason so many old cars leak oil is because the owners have never serviced the PVC system.

PCV valves work to keep the air and the engine cleaner by routing vapor back inside the engine. On hot rods, most simply vent to the air because the cars were originally designed that way. Of course laws in different states affect the emission equipment.

I ran hoses from the back side of my valve covers to the ground for years and got tired of the oily underside. So I put breathers in the back sides, one on right for intake air and one on left for the hose to the PCV port on the carb. I use a "calibrated port" (small hole) instead of a PCV. I use a clear hose to monitor the flow.

8093952301.jpg

I went to the local Chevy dealer. It was $48.95 plus tax and $1.95 each for the bolts. I decided to pay a visit to the local bone yard. I got one for ten bucks. Bolts included.

The PVC valve set up i have now is an aftermarket breather with the PVC valve built into it. I also have the original PCV valve that screws into the back of the carb and runs to the back of the block. That's what i was running on the 327. I'm in the process of replacing the 327 with a GM Goodwrench 350 crate engine. I'm not sure which would be the best, run the original PCV valve into a valve cover breather or use the aftermarket set up.

I'm just not sure if a PCV valve and a breather on the oil filler tube is enough to let it breath. I don't want to blow the seals out of it.

I haven't had much luck with aftermarket breathers. My valve covers (a set of old M/T's) have a kind of baffle in them but they still blow oil. I've used some "NO NAME" breathers from Summit and Spectre's. Is they're a decent brand of breathers out there? I've saw grommets that have a solid bottom but with two small round holes in them. I'n not sure that would let it breath enough.

Well...All the guys here are right and they're giving you the benefit of their experience. Now, theoritically, yes....you could do what your wanting...theres alot going on inside that motor...trying to hide the PCV and breathers....you might let the 'leaking GENIE' outta the bottle.
Its best to have a balanced vaccuum system, one that works well. And yes...baffles are a must, especially on a motor the has a strong vaccuum signal. There's plenty of info here.....do a search....the M/T covers with the built in breathers are cool....just make yourself a couple of baffle plates and mount them in.
The idea of breathers on the rear of the covers is neat, especially for the clean look....

Well, if you don't like the look of breathers sticking out of the top of your valvecovers, you might want to try this. Back, a few years ago, I built this motor for a guy, he was like you.... didn't like the breathers. So, I cut out the top of some old Hemi covers, purt some weldnuts onto the top of his regular valvecovers, mounted the hemi's down to them. Ran the plug wires thru the center and all.....slide some boots where they lookes like a sbc had 'hemi heads. But I left a couple of inches overhang on the cover toward the intake manifold. There I mounted the old racing breathers that come straight up.....I shortened them.....and kept them under the covers. From a distance it looked real. You would have alot of room under there to run, lets say, your alt. wires, fuel line, it covers things that look gawdy, plus is unique.

Just a thought....kinda like those really nice engine covers....but big killer valve covers....theres plenty of room to hide breathers if you get creative......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back