Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Valve cover breathers

Gerry

I want to run a pipe from my breathers to the inside of the heads and then back to the rear of the engine and down to a 'filter' thats out of site. Looking at the engine it seems obvious that I can copy the header pipes but on the inside of the heads.
here my CAD drawing of what i want to make. LOL
valvecoverbreathers.jpg

It will mean numerous programing steps, followed by the use of a power file, some hand finishing and then a polish. (ha Ha)
Gerry

Couple of thoughts, your o-ring would be more effective if it were in the part of the fitting that pushes in the V.C . IMHO also you will probably need some sort of baffle in said fitting, and placement would be important, i.e. in between the valves., or how about on the intake side of the V.C., "more hidden" dave

Couple of thoughts, your o-ring would be more effective if it were in the part of the fitting that pushes in the V.C . IMHO also you will probably need some sort of baffle in said fitting, and placement would be important, i.e. in between the valves., or how about on the intake side of the V.C., "more hidden" dave

The VCs have internal baffling so thats not a problem. Also I plan to make a disk that the 'breathers bolts to which is on the inside of the VCs. So I am using the standard VC baffling and just want to route a pipe to an out of site 'filter, If you get my drift????

also I want to bolt the breathers in to stop any 'idiots' pulling them out and putting stones or other foreign matter into the valve train. It happens.
G

Wouldnt it be easier "just thinking out loud" to just add the breather to the front of the intake like the 50-60s chevy small block. Maybe a custom machined piece that sets beside the waterneck and would vent and keep the valve covers clean

Wow what a great idea! I would love to not have my breather and PCV valve on the top of my valve covers. It would look so much cleaner with out them. Even if it were on the inside of the valve covers it would be less noticeable. If someone made valve covers without any breather fittings I could take it from there.

Wow what a great idea! I would love to not have my breather and PCV valve on the top of my valve covers. It would look so much cleaner with out them. Even if it were on the inside of the valve covers it would be less noticeable. If someone made valve covers without any breather fittings I could take it from there.

How about this:

001.JPG

Put the breathers on back end of covers.

try this pic (I'm still working on sizing pics):

001.JPG

...and note there is no PCV valve in the breather, since they only work in an upright position. Instead I use a disc with a pinhole. Some automakers call this a "calibrated orifice." I use a hose up to the carb port, but a short line directly to the manifold would work too. And the grommet has a baffle to keep out splashed oil.

Well I had bad luck with breathers even on the bottom side (let alone the back/end side) of the valve covers, so I put them all up high, out of the oils path, there is plenty of pressure inside any engine, put oil in front of any hole, and it is going out! at least when you are on the gas at all...

Gerry, God bless you. You have the patience of a saint. I could never be that dedicated to detail. I'm of the "if it runs, it's done" group.

Carry on. John

No one seems to be able to answer my question. Why do some of the attachments ust show an "X" and no photo? I fleel like I'm missing out on the fun of seeing the photos!

How about this:

001.JPG

Put the breathers on back end of covers.

I realise you have a 'critical orifice' in there but do you suffer from oil hitting the back of the VC on acceleration? And how do you stop it getting through and out for a tell tale 'puff'.
Gerry

neshkoro,

I don't know if this will help you or not but I use Mozilla Firefox and could not see the photos that Deck Officer was posting on any of the forums that he frequented. I had had a similar problem a couple of years ago and happened to remember that someone had told me then to go to the tools menu at the top of the page and open it and then select options and load images automatically. Then click on the exceptions button and see if there isn't something listed there. On mine, there was some number and photobucket listed if I remember correctly and when I deleted it, the photos started showing up on all of the sites. I hadn't done anything to put that listing on there, at least that I know of, so I don't have a clue what happened. Maybe this will help you and maybe not.

I realise you have a 'critical orifice' in there but do you suffer from oil hitting the back of the VC on acceleration? And how do you stop it getting through and out for a tell tale 'puff'.
Gerry
The grommets have a baffle in them. I open and clean the breather and don't find any free oil, just some soaked into the foam insert. The plugs look good. And I used a clear hose for a while, and didn't see any liquid oil in it, just vapors. The breather (and firewall) on the passenger side, which is the intake for the system, are clean, so no oil getting out there.

It seems to do the job. I did have a PCV valve in the hose for a while, but couldn't tell any difference.

FYI, I have some new valve covers which will have an intake breather on each, and a PCV line from the valley to the intake manifold with a needle valve (to adjust flow) and check valve (to prevent boost from blowing back into the valley).

Sounds like you got it worked out. Im now thinking of running the pipes inside the VC instead of out side.
Gerry

Sounds like you got it worked out. Im now thinking of running the pipes inside the VC instead of out side.
Gerry
Gerry, the more I think about it, we are really concerned about ventilating the crankcase, where the blowby gasses go first. The oil in the valve covers drains into the valley, which drains into the crankcase. Why have breathers on the covers at all? A baffled line from the crankcase or oil pan to the intake manifold, with or without a PCV valve, could be easy to hide. Anybody have thoughts on that? Remember draft tubes?

Gerry, the more I think about it, we are really concerned about ventilating the crankcase, where the blowby gasses go first. The oil in the valve covers drains into the valley, which drains into the crankcase. Why have breathers on the covers at all? A baffled line from the crankcase or oil pan to the intake manifold, with or without a PCV valve, could be easy to hide. Anybody have thoughts on that? Remember draft tubes?

heres my cut on this.
I like the Valve covers I have and they only come with either 1 or 2 holes. So I went for the one hole version on both sides. The one hole will be used for the breather. My T has a 1972 Tag on it so it does not need emission stuff. (Only real reason to put crankcase vapours back in to the combustion chamber is to burn them and clean up the emissions... right. Before you even mention oil leaks, the old engines that ran breathers without this EGR (environmental gas recycling) crap, never had oil leaks if you built them with care.

I am not running a carb and inlet manifold set up I am running a EFI with 8 throttle bodies on separate manifold plates and a vally plate in the middle.
dec5085.jpg

There is NO way I am going to drill 2 of my throttle bodies to accept a pipe from the vale cover. cause it aint pretty enough. So with a pre emission tag I am going to vent the unburnt hydrocarbons to atmosphere. People behind can enjoy the smell and shield their kids from it in case they sneeze LOL

My bet is with the EFI thats on the car it will run cleaner than most carb set up out there on the road.

Gerry

Gerry--------Mechanical--fuei-injection, sure looks cool. The problem is can they work on the street?

Gerry--------Mechanical--fuei-injection, sure looks cool. The problem is can they work on the street?

Sure looks like Electronic Fuel Injection to me. I see an electronic Throttle Postion sensor and electronic injectors under the fuel rails.

Thank you--I see---GT63

Sure looks like Electronic Fuel Injection to me. I see an electronic Throttle Postion sensor and electronic injectors under the fuel rails.
[/quote]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back