Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

vega or corvair

Ok. Looks to me the location for a corvair box lends itself to providing more room on the floor under the cowl. Or does it make any real difference?

Smokey I'm on my first build but just by my hours of research I'll give my opinion. If you are building a low sitting frame I think the corvair box is the way to go. It can mount on top of your frame and by doing that also gives you less angle on your column which I like. You do need to know what exhaust you are using to make sure there is no interference. The vega box mounted below the frame just doesn't give you as much ground clearance and puts your column at a higher degree of angle. Bobs66440 has some great pics of his vega box and how he mounted it in his build thread. I think you were talking to Ron about the stretch body which opens you up to being able to run a cowl steering setup that Ron also makes. That gives you a perfect angle on your column (I just like the wheel more horizontal myself). The cowl setup uses the corvair box. Not many T's out there with cowl steering and that's one reason I want to do it. I think the vega box is cheaper if ground clearance is not an issue, so I would just let the style/stance of your design determine which to use. (Total novice advice so let some others chime in). The car in the pic shows the corvair box. I like the angle but the wheel is to far back to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 43
Ron I will be ordering that body within the next two weeks. Any other items I need I will be getting from either you or one of the site sponsors. I need to call you with questions on the frame maybe tomorrow.

I'm using a Vega box and it does not hang down below the frame rail nor does it take up any floor space inside the car. I might also add that it is a cross steer system rather than a side steer.

Jim

Last edited:
Jeez Ron, would ya believe I still haven't put the Corvair box you sold me into the car?! Every time the weather's nice enough to work in the garage, I end up driving the damn thing instead. :D

Jack

I've been struggling with the same dilemma which steering box to use. I have measured and measured I do not have the room for a Vega box so I think I'm going to go with the Corvair and mount on top of the frame. Right now my steering column comes straight up from the floor inside the car. I have no leg room I would like to move the steering column on angle so I think the only way I can go is with the Corvair box.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back