Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

VSS for a TH400

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I have a TH400 in my bucket. Never had a speedo or a VSS. Now I need to add a VSS. Is there a GM part number for what I need? Does it just plug into the speedo port?

I have a TH400 in my bucket. Never had a speedo or a VSS. Now I need to add a VSS. Is there a GM part number for what I need? Does it just plug into the speedo port?
Don't know about stock GM, but AutoMeter has them, screws into trans, then the wires run to your new electronic Autometer Speedo. If theirs isn't what you want, go to Dakota Digital, they have them also....
If I'm not mistaken, Dakota Digital also has the hall effect setup, too, and I do believe theirs is also cruise control capable.
I like them myself, makes calibrating your speedo so easy for those huge Sportsmans or Hoosiers out back.

VSS?

I have a VSS I did not use. It screws into your T400 and has the output for electronic speedo.
It is from Ron Frances wire co. If you are interested .

Attachments

• PICT1401.JPG
    PICT1401.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 17
It's for a Painless fan controller that will shut off the fans at a selected road speed. The idea is that the airflow at a high enough speed will cool without the fans.

The Painless unit does it. When you push a button, it reads the road speed from the VSS and stores it in memory. Then whenever you exceed that speed it cuts the fans.
The Painless unit is pretty slick. It will handle two big fans, and it varies fan speed with engine temp. Set two temps in the unit, and it turns on the fans at half-speed at the first temp, then ramps them up with increasing temp until they are at full speed at the second temp. In theory, by adjusting the two temps you can get the engine to maintain any desired temp, and the fans aren't constantly turning off and on, they just vary speed.

I would hate to see that unit fail later down the road and lose a motor do to i was not watching temp . Then i could be watching the temp gauge more then the road to . Its hot here in AZ and rather just keep the fan running all times . My 2 cents worth

I would hate to see that unit fail later down the road and lose a motor do to i was not watching temp . Then i could be watching the temp gauge more then the road to . Its hot here in AZ and rather just keep the fan running all times . My 2 cents worth
You could always set it up so it had a temp switch/relay as a redundant.

I have a VSS I did not use. It screws into your T400 and has the output for electronic speedo.
It is from Ron Frances wire co. If you are interested .
This unit will also drive your mechanical speedo.

These things are solid-state and very reliable. My present Dakota Digital unit has been in use for 10 years. And here in MN we need to modulate the fans to control temp. Well, at least I do since I don't have a thermostat. And the unit has a manual on/off switch if needed.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back