Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Waiting

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Went to a few auto parts stores to pick up some lug nuts for my new wheels. Just want 10. Two wheels. Well..I can get packs of 20. Or packs of 4. Wanna scream that there are cars still with 5 lugs per wheel!!!! Swear words!!! So...waiting for the package guy to deliver my ten lugs. Sheeeeesh!

You have my sympathies . . .

I bought the wheels and tires for my Spirit kit last month,

I was quite surprised to see all the lug nuts in packs of 4, instead of 5.

Fortunately, since it was 4 new wheels, 5 packs of 4 comes out right, but still, WTF I said to myself . . .

Oh, yeah.. The guy that built the bucket got ( from Speedway) GM calipers with Ford rotors. But they came with 1/2x 20 studs. That caused some confusion here because I ASSUMED the rotors were Chev. Did I measure the stud spacing? Before ordering front wheels? Don't KNOW what rear end (sbc & powerglide) but in a cataloge showing dif covers it looks like I have a 10 bolt GM. The wheel studs are 7/16 dia. Huh! Don't know cars, but thought GM studs to be 1/2 inch. Oh well two different lug sizes. A mongrel for sure. My kid won't talk to me cuz the Ford has a Chev drivetrain. He works at Ford trans. Told him to send a Ford motor. Silence.

You gotta check studs and bolt circle closely these days, the usual old 7/16 and 1/2 inch sizes are pretty much gone with the dinosaurs.

Almost everything is metric, 12 X 1.5, which is pretty deceptively close to 1/2" which is 12.7mm.

I have an extra set of twenty, 7/16 - 20 lug nuts, that I blame on a senior moment.

Nothing is simple these days. I feel your pain... been there. And the price of simple things like lug nuts!!! I found that ordering on line is the only way to go but you have to know what you really need. With a machine like what you describe where who knows exactly what the builder used, you really have to pay attention. Ford pulled a good one on their 3/4 and 1 ton truck studs... some are sae, some are metric, on the same year trucks... I have several of those trucks and the two studs will almost interchange so one has to really pay attention. It’s infuriating when you are almost finished swapping a differential and discover that the darn studs and lugs don’t jive.... I hord things like lug nuts in the shop as a result of numerous similar encounters.

The cost of doing business with brick and mortar stores is that they have cut their inventory a lot and can get it in one to two days they say. But I have had some try to charge me shipping--so I just walk out.

I had an oil box inside a milk crate full of lug nuts that were from stock sae and metric as well as long/short shank customs for Cragers/Keystones and threw them away. 2 weeks later I needed 10 and had to find out like you did --packs of 4.

I think the logic behind 4 packs was to sell a set of locks back when most cars had 5 lugs. I hated locking lugs and saw many cars with stolen rims and broken studs... locks just aggravate changing a tire for honest people... thieves do what they do.

I just noticed I only have 4 lugs on each of my rear wheels. I forgot about only receiving a set of eight lugs when I bought the wheels. I too have a bucket of lug nuts somewhere… will have to dig them up. Its crazy that you can't get 5 in a pack.

I think the logic behind 4 packs was to sell a set of locks back when most cars had 5 lugs. I hated locking lugs and saw many cars with stolen rims and broken studs... locks just aggravate changing a tire for honest people... thieves do what they do.

I think you hit that nail smack on the head . . . That's probably it exactly . . . .

I've found the locks to be somewhat of an inconvenience, but so far, have not had any wheels stolen

I think you hit that nail smack on the head . . . That's probably it exactly . . . .

I've found the locks to be somewhat of an inconvenience, but so far, have not had any wheels stolen
The thing that I always thought was humorous about locks is the key is usually either in the glove box, so any thief would look there, or in the tool box... then your stranded if you get a flat. I’ve used vice grips, chisles, numerous things to remove them when a key wasn’t available. The ones I’ve used on a couple recent builds on trucks are spline drive, all of the lug nuts are the same, not just a lock, so a special socket comes with them...not bad, but a twelve point metric will take them off in a pinch. Mounting, blalncing, disposal fees, and lug nuts are sort of hidden unexpected expenses that can really add up.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back