Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

watts or panhard??

If i were building again i would follow Exjunks lead on his rear setup. Triangulated 4 link i think he said. It is the cats meow. No PHB needed and the suspention is all under the car its verynicea.

I've had the parhard kit in a box for 6 years. I haven't build a chassis that it will work on ...' they take more height than most buckets have room for.

My choice is always to triangulate a pair of bars. So easy on a new build. And works great. But out of the choices you gave, watts or panhard, I choose a panhard. Technically a watts is better, because the rear doesnt shift sideways. But in reality, they dont move that much with a panhard. The panhard bar is also far less complex, and more compact, equaling easier to mount. And lets face it, these cars dont have a lot of extra room, so compact is a plus.

LKE has hit on the reason a panhard is fine...........the rears of these cars move so very little up and down that they don't shift the car side to side much when running a panhard. If they were going up and down a greater distance the panhard would pull and push the rear due to the arc, but that is not the case.''

Don

No need to comment here ...LKE and Don have covered it very well.

Ron

Something you never see is the watts link mounted on the rear of the housing and not on top like TP did it. It definitely would be seen but this thread has really made me realize where all the room went for my gas tank. Having to add 5.5 gallons every 60 miles is a lot more of a pain than a rear mount watts link is ugly IMHO.

RearSuspensionviewfrombackofcar.jpg

I really depens on how much movement your going to have,if up and down is only going to be about 2in. max,then go for panhard[always as long as canbe fitted.
But if you've got 3 or more in. then a watts is good.;)
The deal is how much side to side is done when panhard moves up and down=in small up down,you got so tiny side to side it dose not mess with anything.

I really depens on how much movement your going to have,if up and down is only going to be about 2in. max,then go for panhard[always as long as canbe fitted.
But if you've got 3 or more in. then a watts is good.
<

The deal is how much side to side is done when panhard moves up and down=in small up down,you got so tiny side to side it dose not mess with anything.
I have a watts on mine. havent got it on the road yet but I do wish the passenger side did not stick up above the frame rail. (body is not in position for this photo. It is toward the fron a couple inches now that I have the distributor in)

Attachments

• 100_4018_0001.JPG
    100_4018_0001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back