Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welcome to XenForo

Mike

Welcome to the latest version of your favorite T-Bucket Forums!

I am going to be away from my desk for 2-3 hours, but I think things are set to a point where you can be using the forum without any problems.

If you do have any kind of problem, please post a new topic in the How Do I...? forum, using a descriptive title and supplying me as many details as you can.

Enjoy!

I like it!! very clean, and seems faster on my new i Mac than the old software as well. my avitar pilot gif appears to be frozen, perhaps in fear of the changes, but he may get used to it in time ;)

Russ

Just a quick note to say the Media Library is available through the link in the NavBar.

And for anyone who prefers blue to red, scroll to the bottom of any page. In the lower-left corner, click on the DXF-Red link. In the resulting Ajax menu, select DXF. You're welcome. ;)

And that's me, calling it a day. Nothing to eat for nearly 12 hours and my eyes have had all the fun they can stand for one day. See everyone on the morrow.

Russ, did your avatar turn and fly away, before? I can get you that image again, if you would like.

And wait until I start tweaking this place for some faster page loads. I've not even begun...

Ya. it did fly away before, but don't worry about it now. you have plenty else to do. ;)
I've recently been thinking about putting up a new avitar anyway. change is good! GGggg.

Thanks,
Russ

Guys, I really appreciate the kind words. The actual database conversion went really great. But I've really been fighting some issues on the server. And seeing that people are enjoying the new software is what's keeping me going, to be truthful.

Russ, here you go, if you still want it -
gv.gif
You can save it to your computer, in case you ever want to use it anywhere else.

Mike: The conversion looks great. I realize there might be some glitches along the way as well as a few that don't like change, but this one looks like its a keeper. Let hope we can tweak this to our needs and keep it trucking for years to come.

From a long-time member, I think I speak for the majority, Well Done!

Looks good from here. I hope you took some time for Thanksgiving in the middle of this upgrade. It sure looks like you've done quite a bit of work already. Everything I have tried so far has worked fine. A few things for us to learn, but nothing too difficult. Thanks for all the work and for keeping the place moving forward.

I am really liking this new software. As Mike would say it works a treat. I really like how the thread goes away after you have read it and click on What's New. You can keep track of what ya read.

Is there a way to keep this font and size, for every time I post? So I don't have to keep changing it?

By the way those who care this is post #3000 for me

Ben, this is the end of the line for ol' Mike. We're going to stick on XenForo until the Second Coming, because I don't have enough brown hair left to turn gray over another conversion move.

Here's a look at the Usergroup Permissions page for the Adminstrators' accounts -

userperms.png

The Admin account is easy to set up, as I have permission to do everything. So I could click that top green button and immediately allow all permissions for my account.

But there are 73 individual settings on that page. And besides the Admin group, there is a Moderating group, a Banned Group, a Registered group, a Supporting Members group, a Sponsor's group, a VIP group and an Unregistered/Not Logged In group. So, for those 7 other usergroups, I had to wade through 73 settings each. 511 selections, each having 3 possible options.

But it doesn't end there. There are a total of 26 forum categories and forums on the site. And each forum has 48 settings, from 4 possible options. For each of the 8 usergroups. 9,984 selections.

The actual conversion went very fast. I was in here at 4:30. I logged into the IPB forum and uninstalled everything but the Gallery application. I didn't want any more database tables queued up than absolutely necessary. Once I had everything non-essential gone, I closed the forum down for the last time. I logged onto the server via FTP and moved all the IPB files into a new temporary directory, for just in case. I nipped over to XenForo and downloaded a fresh package and FTP'ed it to the server. I logged in via SSH, unpacked the download and moved the files to their new home. (Around 2,050 of them, if I remember.) I set up a new database and installed the XenForo software. I closed it down and went to the conversion script. I pulled the trigger on it at 5:48. At 6:22, it was finished with the conversion of all the members, all the Private Conversations, all the avatars, all the posts, all the attachments, all the forums, all the usergroups, all the members, etc. I then started running some tools to rebuild all the forum's caches, which took another 36 minutes. 1:10 was all the actual database conversion took.

I installed the red style and went to share breakfast with my son and granddaughter. When they left, I was right back in here. I was trying to set permissions for all the usergroups and all the forums and I was getting buried under an avalanche of e-mails and Private Conversations, so I locked the forum back down and finished all the settings before I re-opened the site. I spent the rest of the day trying to clean up little snags and trying to get a redirection script working, so all of the links for the Invision forum would point to the right resources on this site. At 7:30, last evening, I finally decided I had already had all the fun I could stand for one day. Discounting the 90 minutes the kids were here, I was at it for a total of 13.5 hours.

And I was back in here at 5:00, this morning. I've already got 7 hours in, if you can imagine. I finally gave up on the redirection scripts and submitted a ticket to XenForo support. I don't know if anyone had noticed, but the sponsor logos were disappearing and reappearing with regularity yesterday. Every time I would add the redirection rules to the .htaccess file, every .png image on the site would disappear. It was driving me nuts. Turns out they had a slight error in their rules, but it's all fixed now. That way, if someone sees one of our old IPB links on Goober, Bing or another site, when they click the link it will direct them to the proper resource on the XenForo site.

But things are finally starting to come together. The DXF styles have a couple of glaring errors, but I have to live with them for the time being. The styles were written for an earlier version of XenForo, so there are some compatibility issues. I need to sweet-talk the dev that created the styles and hope she will provide updated versions.

I have a Wiki script I can install, but I'm trying to decide if it will do everything I want it to do. I may end up doing some custom pages, to restore our Tech Library.

Has anyone played around in the Media Library yet? That's a pretty slick script.

I was convinced to just live with the standard XenForo smilies, but some people have indicated they want the old ones back. So that's been added to these two pages of my To-Do list. I think it's time to speed this place up a bit, myself. Time to light off the afterburner, methinks.

But if you click on the link for the rules, you'll see the rules. If you click on the advertising link, you'll see a page with our advertising packages. And most importantly, if you want to post something, you can. Thanks be to God for that one.

And the NavBar has snow on it, so what more could anyone ask, right?

Uhhhhhm, if anyone complains about page load speeds, they will be taken out and shot.

I ran some tests while we were still on IPB. Running all the caching tricks I could run, an average page load on the index page was 0.45 seconds.

So, I ran some tests on this site. Average page load on the index page was 0.3670 seconds. We sped up 18%, just by switching forum software.

But then, I added some caching tricks and average page load on the index page dropped to 0.1556 seconds. That picked speed another 57% over the stock XenForo configuration. And that's 67% faster than the tricked-out IPB configuration. And I think I can find even more, if I add another caching script to the server. Actually, I am going to smile in the knowledge of how fast it is running and knowing I can likely find even more.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back