Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Well my lakesters wont work crapppppp

rooster57

Give me some advice on headers chrome , coated, i think i am leaning twards traditional sprint style with the 26 inch turnout chrome. ARG

Speedway???????????

It must be the cowl is wider and longer on the CCR body than the first body i had. They would probably work but if i ever got a leak in the turnout gasket it could ruin the paint.

I like the look of EXjunks ride (who dont) he has had very good luck with the coated ,he said Then Floyd said coat it . Speedway has added a disclamer about the quality of their chrome ARG . BUT i think the sprint style would work for me. coated it is.

No, I love ceramic coating too. Rooster, Sanderson will custom make some headers for you and the cost really isn't too far off of the off the rack ones they sell. My Son had some of their Jayster headers modified to his drawings and they came out great. I have worked with Sanderson for about 15-20 years, and find them to be nice, accomodating people in all respects. Call Nick out there and talk to him, I bet he has some solution.

Don

dans30firewallcutout003.jpg

LumenAl said:
You will fight like crazy to keep the chrome one from turning blue... coated is much easier to maintain and cool off a lot quicker which is nice cause these things are eye candy to lots of young kids...

I'm using chrome Speedway headers on my car and they're already getting a straw colored haze on them. I figure the blue will be along shortly. They will eventually be replaced with coated. The young kids thing really worries me, too.

Also there are some kits available to make your own lakes headers. Speedway sells them and there's another that I can't quite remember. Lakes Headers.com maybe??

I can't comment on Sanderson's coating, but you might think about buying whatever you use in bare steel and having the coating done seperately. It costs a little more, but I think the coating is better that way. At least on the headers I've seen.

Mike

The problem with chrome is quality versus the EPA. They have clamped down so hard over the past few years that small chrome shops were either forced out or had to cut quality to meet federal requirements. Our government helping us out as usual.

George

Last night i ordered a set of sprint style coated with 26 inch muf extentions. I think i am gona modify mt lakesters by removing the tubes and make them about 3 inches longer at the rear for pleanty of clearence. Then swap from time to time between the two.

I understand an old bikers trick to keep chrome exhaust from bluing is to put a good coating of axle grease inside the tubes then start the motor up. They claim it will smoke like mad for a while, then stop, and the grease somehow protects the chrome. Never tried it, so I can only pass along what I heard.

Don

I think Sanderson is a superior product but i searched their website and thought the couple of hunderd bucks would need to be used on something else right now. Thanks Don for the info i like the Jaysters a lot. Mabye next time.

donsrods said:
I understand an old bikers trick to keep chrome exhaust from bluing is to put a good coating of axle grease inside the tubes then start the motor up. They claim it will smoke like mad for a while, then stop, and the grease somehow protects the chrome. Never tried it, so I can only pass along what I heard.

Don

Don,

I've heard that rumor too. The only thing I can imagine is that the grease might somehow burn into a layer of carbon on the inside surface, then act like an insulator of some kind.

What I want to know is how did they even figure out that the grease idea worked. It must have been by accident by the dirtiest mechanic in the world! :eek:

David

Just how close are your Lakesters to the paint ? Can you get away with cutting out a flange spacer for the heads on each side ? Say, 1/2 Inch think maybe ? Just an idea... Or try a different type of joint, like the ones with the wrap around clamp, those wouldn't leak onto the paint.... "BH"

another biker trick to cut back on the bluing of chrome pipes is to spray high temp header paint inside them or pour wood stove blacking down them an slosh it around , the idea is to make a slight thermal barrier i dont know what grease would do besides make a stench while it burnt off lol :cool:

BH they are about an inch away and i like the look of them so i will modify them and have them recoated. Be kinda like having two Hats HA HA

Greasing the inside the header works because the burned grease burns into a caron coating on the inside the header it "cokes up"The same trick was used inside the chrome exhaust on midget race cars.My dad taught me this a long time ago it seems they did it on his offy powered midget and sprint cars he drove.I don't know that using todays VHT paints wouldn't do the same thing inside

i was told long ago about putting heavy oil inside new headers to prevent blueing. has to be new ones tho....won't work on ones that have been run.

Ron

Way back, I was told that you could get a coil of copper, and run a line around the top of the headers and that stopped or reduced blueing of chrome. Saw it on a few show cars about 35 years ago.

So one bit of copper wire, run twice around the header and then onto the next one and so on.

It may be worth a shot. And you dont have to remove your headers to do it. The show cars I saw had it done real nice, so it doesnt have to look messy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back