Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What if?

tfeverfred

Being older and just a little smarter, I sometimes think back to what could or would have been. I remember sitting with my brother looking through a huge stack of hot rod magazines that we always seemed to have the money to buy. Sometimes out dad would toss us a new one and it would REALLY get the imagination going. We always planned to build something, but always talked our selves out of it.

One year, we almost did something about it. We had seen these ads in Hot Rod magazine. They were ALWAYS toward the back section, just before the classified section. Anyone remember when Hot Rod Magazine had an ad section? Gosh we're old!:lol: Well, the company was Bird Automotive. That little starter kit always got us thinking, but we figured it was a sham. No way could it have been real. So, we never even tried to save the money to give them a shot. Turns out they were real. I even hear a few are still on the road! Now, looking back, I wonder how many T Buckets I'd have under my belt, if my brother and I would have gotten summer jobs and got our dad to help? Gee.:sad:

bird_automotive.jpg

I bought one. Open channel frame--Good fiberglass . I had no idea of what I was doing. Not really a bad kit for someone with ANY experience. 93" WB.

I remember reading the ads also. Shoulda done it back then, 20/20 hindsight. :doh:

In '97, I built a new frame for one that the Snap on driver got from his dad. He said it had been sittig in the basement since '62 or '63. Most of the parts were stillboxed up. @ years later, he was driving it all over the place and still is.

NO!!....At the time I didn't think I would ever have a use for them. I just built the frame, He did the rest of it himself. One thing I remember is that some parts looked a lot like Total parts. Seems to me I heard someone bought what was left of the company and started offering the kit under their name with some refinements. Don't remember who though.

It's good that they turned out to be a legit company. One of the things that always scared my brother and I away from it was that the address was a post office box. Guess we should have manned up and went for it. Ahh... to turn back the hands of time.

Oh the memories ..............

I almost got one of those kits when I was in high school. (class of 75) I got a van instead when I was a Junior and I customized it thus starting my career with cars.
I built my first bucket in 1994 which turned out to be the prototype For the Spirit 23 T. Now close to a thousand buckets later you could say the rest is history. So be careful cuz nobody can build just one.

Re: Oh the memories ..............

B.C. said:
I almost got one of those kits when I was in high school. (class of 75) I got a van instead when I was a Junior and I customized it thus starting my career with cars.
I built my first bucket in 1994 which turned out to be the prototype For the Spirit 23 T. Now close to a thousand buckets later you could say the rest is history. So be careful cuz nobody can build just one.

LOL:lol: I too "lost my way" and fell prey to the van craze. Class of '77. I wanted a black one with red crushed velvet interior!:eek: Luckily, the craze wore off as quick as I got it and I was back dreaming of T Buckets.:D

I was working in another speed shop, back in the mid-70's and the only memories I have of the van craze are the stacks of van windows and roof vents that I had in the back room, when people finally returned to their senses. ;)

I was too busy buying frame connectors, traction bars and engine parts to have a spare dime to spend on van stuff. Who cared about looking good, when you could go fast? :D

The closes thing I ever got to a van was a 1959 chev. panel truck.:D

thomas:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back