Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is this rear end?

409T

Staff member
From the back I thought it was a Ford 8", but I guess I was wrong. Anyone recognize it? It has 10 studs around the third member, 5 studs going through the backing plate to hold the axle in, and what appears to be an adjustment for setting the pre-load on the wheel bearing.

2043Re.jpg

2039Re.jpg

2050Re.jpg

Is it a 4 1/2" on 5 bolt patern?

ron

I pulled the driver's side axle with just one hand. It was different than the picture in that it did not have a wheel bearing adjuster. The passenger side axle, which is the picture shown, will move in and out about 1/8 inch with one hand, but no further. Before I put a slide hammer on it and break something, am I supposed to tighten or loosen the bearing adjuster to free this thing up? Is there some trick or some lock somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Jeff

The RH should come out just like the LH did. Take the nuts off the studs, remove the locking key from the one stud, and slide the axle out. It could be stuck a little, but it'll come out exactly the same way as the other side.

I zoomed in on your photo and got the casting number off of the carrier 2070741 and googled it, it shows to be Chrysler 1964-1972 used in light weight low horse power applications.

More info found - http://www.usaimports.co.uk/Mopar_Tech_Pages/mopar_rear_ends.htm
quoted from above page-
2070741 AKA "741" :
The 741 is the weakest 8 ¾ centre section you can buy. Commonly found in V8 A bodies before 1973. (Rumour: It is the only available axle in 1972 Darts / Valients….matter of fact is where I got my rear end from and it had a 741 in it but I swapped it for a 489 for $20.00 more)
The 741, besides being the weakest of the 8 ¾, has a limited amount of OEM and aftermarket bearings, gears, and other parts available. This unit when found in an A body rear is usually loaded with highway gears (However, I found a sure-grip 3.91 741 centre section in a 1967 cuda 340 "S" 4 speed car) and will have to be replaced with a stronger unit if you want to race. Best advice…try to swap it for a 742 or 489 section before you take that A body rear from the yard. If that is not possible it makes a nice cruising / backup unit.
A lot of people on the web boards hack on the 741 that it is too weak but most agree that it is hard to break it in a mild street application. So if you have a nice strong small block street car you will be hard pressed to bust this pumpkin. Sure grips found in these rears can be swapped into other housings as long as you take the carrier bearing and races with you (as they are different). SG's themselves are all the same except for the clutch and cone type units.
Info: 1 3/8 Pinion

I pulled the driver's side axle with just one hand. It was different than the picture in that it did not have a wheel bearing adjuster. The passenger side axle, which is the picture shown, will move in and out about 1/8 inch with one hand, but no further. Before I put a slide hammer on it and break something, am I supposed to tighten or loosen the bearing adjuster to free this thing up? Is there some trick or some lock somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Jeff
There is a little rubbing block in the center of these rear ends. Both axles touch this block, that adjuster adjust the preload on both axle bearings. The rear bearings are tapered roller bearings. They do make replacement ball type bearings and you can do away with the adjuster. To remove the axles, just take off the nuts holding the bearing retainers (adjuster) then you will probably need a slide hammer type axle puller to free up the bearing in the housing.

DANG ...ya gotta love this site and the great guys here!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

When you pull the axles, you'll want to make sure that block/pin setup stays put inside the carrier. What happens, is the axle gets pulled, the suction grabs the pin from one side and falls out inside the housing, or on the ground. The guy doesn't see, or know that it happened, and then when it gets put back together, nobody can figure out why the axle shaft endplay can't be set up correctly. I ran across this on a '69 Charger I bought back in '89. The slide block/pins where gone. If anybody is Mopar savvy, they've probably heard of Herb McCandless. He was able to fix me up way back then.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back