Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What kind of wood?

Corley

I'm about to build a cab top and bed cover for the Model A pickup, and I've decided I'd like to do them using wood. I have in mind a dark wood / light wood look. The problem is, I don't know squat about the different woods available, and what wood would be best for this? Does anyone have any ideas of what would be best? What I have in mind is a light color wood around the edges, and then light/dark strips in the field. Some considerations are: It has to be "workable", since it will take some shaping, especially the lighter wood around the edges of the cab top. It has to take the sun and moisture well, without going crazy and warping all over the place. I can stain the pieces before installing for the dark, but if it were a natural dark color that would be preferred. Any of you wood workers have any advice for me?

I'm thinking I may put some snaps around the edges and make a vinyl cover to go over both the top and bed in case I get caught in rain, will that work, or will the slapping of the cover on the wood damage the finish? Of course, boats are made of wood and they get really wet, so maybe that's not really needed...???... Will the sun be too much for it (assuming it ever comes out around here)? Maybe I could use a plywood base and then put hardwood flooring material on it? Would that work??? How thick does it really need to be??? Questions Questions Questions... (I may be envisioning the finished product with blinders on...)

Corley

Maple for the light wood, walnut would look nice for the dark but it is better suited for indoors rather than outdoors. Perhaps some Khaya for the dark wood. You will have to stain it somewhat, but it will take stain well. Varathane would provide good moisture protection and can be brushed on, but it probably will yellow a little over time. If you can spray, I have also used PPG DCU2021 (from the automotive paint store) on conference table and bar tops and it is bullet proof. Same as on a car, you have to sand it with up to 1500 or 2000 grit paper and then buff, but it comes out like glass. If it gets scratched, a little fine sand paper and re-buffing will bring it back to new.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for that suggestion, that's a very good idea. The Automotive clear will surely provide better UV protection than any varnish I could buy. I'm not familure with Khaya, is that a very hard wood? I know they use teak a lot on boats, but I've never worked with that either. When it comes to wood, even though I just finished building my own new home, wood finishing has to be easy or I will make a mess of it! Metal - yes, wood - no... We'll see how this come out, still doing the metal for the time being though, just planning how to do the wood parts...

Thanks again,
Corley

I'm not familure with Khaya, is that a very hard wood?
Khaya is a type of mahogany that comes from Africa. It is typical of most mahoganies, not soft like pine, not quite as hard as oak, definitely not as hard as northern maple. It would be OK if surrounded with the maple to protect the edges.

Jeff

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back