Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

whats covering the glass?

jjsticks

I have a fiberglass over wood body on the 27 T.but the flat paint seems to be coming off in chips,what is covering the glass part of the body?is it like a skin coat of sorts?and where can i get the products to refinish the body.thanks men!jj

Thats a gel coat and if its chipping off then the mold was prolly contaminated before the lay-up in which case i think you'll have to sand the whole body down past the gel coat.then prime the body and your that far you might as well block sand it smooth.

it mite be the wax that thay put on the mould to get the body out that is reacting against the pain and making it come off.

Yep, to properly prep any glass body for paint you have to dewax it a couple of times, then sand to get some tooth, then dewax some more. Sounds like someone missed a step or two. Mold release wax is a bugger to get off.

Don

if you could post some pics it would help

Ron

jjsticks said:
thanks guys can you recommend a good step by step web site.i'm new at this.jj

What are we........chopped liver. :lol::lol::lol: Yep, post up some pictures, we'll be happy to try to steer you through it.

Don

i'm wondering if we're not looking at this wrong. could it be the body was built from wood and the 'glass laid over it? then maybe a skim coat of putty or spot filler?

Ron

i was told there was no gel coat put on the body.it is wood with glass over it. could i use body filler?thanks guys i dig this place ")

Honestly pictures of what you're dealing with would go a long way toward our helping you.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back