Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What's this trailing arm off of?

baddawgcustoms

I believe this cars owner is a member on here. Anyone know what the Trailing arm this car is running is off of? looks like a way sweet idea! Looks like it would work just like the arms on my 72 C10. Planning on a tall buggy spring myself, and this looks to make things a lot easier than a four link (i know the 4 link is better and keeps the pinion angle), and it works just fine on my truck! I'm running a stock 289, so trailing arms would be plenty sufficient. Any ideas?

Attachments

• tpaintedbodyinstalledonframe005 (1).jpg
    tpaintedbodyinstalledonframe005 (1).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 81
  • uponwheels004.jpg
    uponwheels004.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 82
Not able to blow them up for a better look but I think they are fabricated units.

George

it does look like the arm from the frame has been fabricated, but the part that is hard to see is under the diff. It looks like he fabricated a mount and welded it under the axle housing, but the part on the rear of the trailing arm looks like some sort of cast piece. It just looks like a fairly simple but well functioning design. And George I've been chewing over a double transverse leaf spring idea in the back. One for the top, and another from the bottom. That is I've been chewing on it since someone posted a pic of the old miller Indy car from the thirties with this set up. I just love the look of that big ol hoop looking buggy spring in the rear, but now I can't get that double "miller" style spring out of my head. Thinking it would be pretty cool to have a car with this double spring on the front, and rear......I gotta sleep on this one. It would definitely be something you don't see every day, and if it worked on the race track at 160 mph, I think it would be just fine on a little fiberglass lizzy.

Here is a link to Don's build thread on another site. The info might be in there.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/23618-project-3-k-underway.html

I think they are heavy duty aftermarket arms. Purpose built for rearend location. I don't think they're available anymore, though, except at swapmeets. Regular Ford wishbones are too lightly built for use by themselves. A lot have been used and continue to be used, but I wouldn't unless it was a very low powered car.

The brackets should be fairly easy to duplicate out of plate. The arms could be fabbed from rectangular tubing. If you wanted them tapered you could cut a wedge out of the length and weld back together, similar to tapering a frame rail.

Mike

Here is a link to Don's build thread on another site. The info might be in there.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/23618-project-3-k-underway.html

I think they are heavy duty aftermarket arms. Purpose built for rearend location. I don't think they're available anymore, though, except at swapmeets. Regular Ford wishbones are too lightly built for use by themselves. A lot have been used and continue to be used, but I wouldn't unless it was a very low powered car.

The brackets should be fairly easy to duplicate out of plate. The arms could be fabbed from rectangular tubing. If you wanted them tapered you could cut a wedge out of the length and weld back together, similar to tapering a frame rail.

Mike
Thanks for the help George. I have to join the site to view the pics but I will sure check it out.

There is a guy on ebay selling similar arms...both with and without lightening holes, and a couple lengths. I was considering something similar for a while, and RPM said he could make them for a better price, if I wanted them.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back